Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Basic IceCC Tutorial

How to change a unit's attack using IceCC

Author: Suteki

This is a Basic tutorial that will teach you how to give a unit a diffrent attack visual. This is designed to be used by People that have never used IceCC before, but even experienced people might want to use this.

Tools that will be needed:

IceCC http://www.starcraft.org/downloads/Customs...ds/Expert/IceCC

WinMPQ http://www.starcraft.org/downloads/Customs...s/WinMPQ%201.64

MPQDraft http://starcraft.org/downloads/CustomsDownloads

UED_BwData4.txt (List File)

***This Paragraph is for people that don't have IceCC yet, if you do have it then you can skip this part and continue to the [begining] Section***

First download IceCC, and the extract all of it to your C: drive, otherwise it will not work.

After that open the folder and double click on "IceCCUI" a black DOS box will pop up, wait a few seconds and IceCC will open.

[begining]

Now that you have IceCC open what your looking at is all the Images, Sprites, Flingy's, and Unit's in the game.

This is what you will be using to edit the Iscripts. But what are Iscripts? Well, they are probably the most import file you can mod. Iscripts tell units exactly what to do, how to do it, how long to do it/wait to do it, what to show, and what to sound like.

Everything uses an Iscript, without one, it would render a unit completely useless.

Ok now that you know what an Iscript is, I will tell you how to get to it. First navigate to your Stracraft folder, then create a new folder, and name it somthing, I'm calling mine MOD,then create another folder inside of that one and call it Mod1.Now extract UED77's listfile and put it in the same folder that WinMPQ is in.

Now open WinMPQ, click "Options" and then click the File Lists Tab, then click "Add List File..." and find UED77's listfile and add it, then exit that window. Now at the top left click "New" navigate if you have to back to your Mod1 folder and then create a name for the MPQ I'm naming mine Wraith. Now click "Open" in WinMPQ and find in your Starcraft folder a MPQ named "patch_rt" and open it. You should see a lot of stuff like arr at the top and dlgs etc. If you have a bunch of Unknowns everywhere, then you didn't properly set up the list file and you will need to re do the steps.

now find a file called "scriptsISCRIPT.BIN" (it's twords the middle of all the other files) when you find it right click on it and click "Extract" go to ur C: Drive and find the IceCC folder, click on that folder 1 time then click Ok. If for some reason it says that file is already there, then click yes that you want to overwrite it.

Go back to WinMPQ and click Open and find your Wraith.MPQ (Or whatever you named yours).

Now go back to IceCC, Un-check the "Use default iscript.bin" and then click the browse button across from the "Open:" Double click on the Scripts folder, and then double click on ISCRIPTS.BIN.

Now in the Unit's section find the Terran Wraith (number Eight) click it one time and make sure it's the only thing you clicked, then click "Decompile" then "Open in Editor"

You will now see a notepad that has various information on the Terran Wraith. What your looking at is the Iscript that goes to the Terran Wraith, almost everything you see that the Wraith does (meaning how it moves,and what it looks like (excluding what it's attack looks like) is controlled from this file. (neat huh?)

One problem, I said it did everything BUT it's attack, so how do we change what its attack is then? Well we have to actually change the Wraiths Missles which actually have their own name which is GeminiMissles, and it has it's own Iscript.

Close that notepad, and click "Unselect All" below the Unit's secion. Now look at the Images section and scroll down untill you find "GeminiMissles" (Number 525)

Make sure that is the only thing you have clicked on when you find it, and then click it and Decompile it. For this tutorial the only part we are interested in is:

"imgol08 530 0 0 # Unknown530 (thingyecaHit.grp)" which is in the "GeminiMisslesDeath" section. What this is, is the image starcraft shows when a wraith air missle blows up. "Unknown530 (thingyecaHit.grp)" that right there is what you see when a missle blows up.

What we are gunna do is change it so that when it blows up it turns into a nuclear explosion -_-

Minimize that notepad and go back to IceCC. Click "Unselect All" under the Images section, scroll up in the Images and find the NuclearMissile (Number 316)

Decompile it, and go to the "NuclearMissileBurrowInit" section look for these two lines in the script, "imgol08 428 0 0 # Smallexplosion (thingysmall.grp)" and below that is "sprol0f 267 0 214 # NuclearExplosion (thingyNukeHit.grp)" that is what you see when the nuke blows up.

Copy both of those lines and go back to your GeminiMissles script. Now look in the "GeminiMisslesDeath" section and find that same line of code again (imgol08 530 0 0 # Unknown530 (thingyecaHit.grp)) Delete that entire Line, and replace it with both of the nuke lines you copied. It should now look like this:

GeminiMisslesDeath:

playsnd 9 # MiscExploSm.wav

imgol08 428 0 0 # Smallexplosion (thingysmall.grp)

sprol0f 267 0 214 # NuclearExplosion (thingyNukeHit.grp)

domissiledmg

wait 1

end

That is exactly what it should look like. Now click "Save As" and if you have a Mod folder already in your IceCC folder then save it in that, if not just save it in the IceCC folder. I'm saving mine as Wraith.

Now in IceCC click the "Compiler" Tab at the Top. Un-Check "Merge with default iscript.bin" and click the Browse button and click the scripts folder and then double click the ISCRIPT.BIN that you put in there. Now click the Add button and find that same exact ISCRIPT.BIN file and double click it. Click Add one more time and find your Wraith notepad that you made (or whatever you called it) and Add it to the list. Now click "Compile" at the bottom right. You get no errors, if you do re check your steps or the notepad and make sure it is exactly like mine. If you compiled and it didn't say anything then it worked, IceCC will Never say "completed" or "done" Or Anything.

Now go back to WinMPQ and you should still be in your WraithMPQ, if not then open it. Now click at the top of WinMPQ click "Add" and then navigate to your IceCC's Script Folder, and Add the ISCRIPT.BIN that we made. Then WinMPQ will ask what kind of file you want to save it as. Type This Exactly how I show you scripts that's all just type scripts and then click Ok. it should now show up in your MPQ. Now exit the MPQ (it saves automaticly) and now open MPQDraft.

Open it then click "LOAD MPQ PATCH" then select Starcraft as the program and it should say in Program Executable "C:Program FilesStarcraftStarcraft.exe"

In the bottom box, Components, select StarCraft. Press Next. If you’re using a CD Crack, go to the [Extra step]

[Extra Step] If you’re not using a crack, skip this step. Press Browse. Find the .exe for your crack and double click it. A pop-up box will appear, press Ok. Press Next.[Extra Step End]

Now, click next and you should see your Wraith.mpq (or again whatever you saved it as) on the list. Check the box next to it, and click Next. You should already have the MPQDraft Plugins at the top by default. Make sure you have the Starcraft in the disc tray (unless your using a crack) then just click Finish.

It should then load Starcraft. Make a single player game against a computer and make sure your Race is Terran.

Use the Cheat Codes operation cwal, and show me the money to make this go faster. (if it seems to be running slow click, Menu, Options, Speed, and then change the game speed as fast as it can go) with all that set, create a few Wraiths and have them shoot each other. OMG THEY HIT AND BLOW UP LIKE NUKES!!

Good Job you have succesfully made your first Mod Using IceCC.

Edited by Suteki

I figure I will bump this just incase anyone wanted to mod somthing just for fun lol.

I think I remember this.

When we upgraded BounderHax, we lost quite a bit of posts and topics, including the tutorials.

If you want you can repost it (us the Tutorials Link at the top of the site), or I will add it later.

If you could just re add it later that would be fine.

I think I might pin this topic. It's pretty helpful ;)

I think I might pin this topic. It's pretty helpful :P

^^ That's kind of you.

wait so doubling speed and stuff will still run normally on normal starcraft and anyone can play it?

wait so doubling speed and stuff will still run normally on normal starcraft and anyone can play it?

I'm not sure why your asking, this tutorial isn't about doubling the speed, it's simply changing the attack of a wraith.

Doubling the speed would work offline, but would cause you to be desynce and drop on B.net, unless of course you made a mod with increased speed, and you gave it to everyone that was going to play with you. If all of you are running the mod then it would work on Bnet.

I'm not sure why your asking, this tutorial isn't about doubling the speed, it's simply changing the attack of a wraith.

Doubling the speed would work offline, but would cause you to be desynce and drop on B.net, unless of course you made a mod with increased speed, and you gave it to everyone that was going to play with you. If all of you are running the mod then it would work on Bnet.

I found this map and ive been picking it apart to figure out how the units are faster than normal. Ive concluded that the creator must have used a mod of some sort but there was no explicit distribution of a mpq involved. Ive opened the file in a mpq editor and it appeared to be the same as any other map [just staredit/scenario.chk and a (listfile)]. Im still new to modding so itd be a great help if someone could explain how this is possible and how to recreate the effect myself.

Thanks

I didn't actually look at the map but I'm guessing what your talking about is the crazyness that can ensue if you place a player # above 12 into the map. This was copied and pasted from http://www.blizzsector.net/starcraft-maps/...gers-guide.html Most of the info regarding this is not known by many people anymore except for the "old school" map makers.

Players above 12 don't actually exist, as Blizzard did not program them. Players 13 and above are reads of data that Starcraft normally wasn't designed to read, that's why it will differ from the mac version of Starcraft, dropping Mac and PC users from each other.

How do we control players 13-256? How do we use them properly? This tutorial can help you understand players better.

* DICTIONARY:

o Main Players: Players 1-12 are the main players.

o Supply Provider: A building or unit that provides supply. Example: A supply depot provides 8 supply.

o Supply used: The ammount of supply a user is currently using. Example: 23/48. The user would be using 23 supply.

o Total supply: The total ammount of supply a user can use. Example: 23/48. The user can only use up to 48 supply unless he/she builds another supply provider which will increase the total supply to a higher ammount untill it reaches the supply limit.

o Supply limit: The limit of that player's total supply. Default in melee is 200. Example: 23/200. If the player has enough supply providers to set it past 200 it will not increase, it still stops here. This is the supply limit for that player.

So, you're wondering what this is used for huh? If you played Starcraft, I hope you would have understood it.

There are a wide variety of Players. Some speed up the game, some alter your supply limit, some give you everlasting spammy text, and some can even cloak or uncloak any unit in the game.

Alright, you need some proof that players 1-12 are the main players. Right? Well here, take in this large ammount of information of the amazing pattern in this player alliance guide.

NOTE: This tells if the main players are allied TO these players by default.

As you see, all the alliances to these players. Now if you keep counting down by 12's, you'll see the pattern.

Now that we've seen all of that, let's look at players that would draw our attention.

Player 13:

Player 13 is unique because of it's fast-frame speed up and it's random colours. Placing a unit for player 13 will increase frame rate in the game for other preplaced units. It does not increase speed. Also depending on the ammount of players, the tileset it's played on, and other minor things, Player 13 will be a different colour in the game and have different selection circles. Remember, that the increased framerate is for pre-placed units and will not affect units created in the game.

Player 14:

Player 14 has earned it's prize for the most used player. But many people believe it only increases speed. This is not true. Player 14 has a few more uses you may have not known of. Player 14 also has a few instructions to be used properly. I'll tell you here how to harness player 14's power of time travel.

* How to make time faster by 2x:

o You must place a player 14 map revealer as the first unit on your map. If it is placed after, it will only freeze preplaced units before it. The map revealer can be placed anywhere you wish. All units will be 2 times faster. Some minor glitches may occur, such as if a zerg unit is attacked while burrowing, it may unburrow and cloak at the same time.

* How to make time faster by 4x:

o For this to work, using the same steps as for 2x speed, you must place an interceptor or scarab instead of a map revealer. Note that a scarab must be placed on land, so that would make the interceptor a better choice. All units will end up 4x faster. This causes major glitches such as many units not attacking properly, vision randomly disappearing and reappearing, and arbiters' cloaking malfunctions.

* How to freeze time:

o There are 2 ways of doing this. One which will literally freeze units, and one that will partially freeze units. To do the one to fully freeze pre-placed units, place a map revealer, interceptor, or scarabafter placing the units you want frozen. The units placed before will be frozen. They can not die, or be controlled. Fog will run over it but you will still see it and be able to click on it. To do the one to partially freeze units, just simply place any ground unit on invalid terrain for player 14. When the game starts, it will say the unit was unplacable and all preplaced units would have been frozen, but will still look like they are moving and can be killed. Killing certain units using this method may crash the game. Fog will run over them like it does in the first method of freezing units.

* How to freeze animation:

o This is something different, as you can 'freeze unit animation'. Place a player 14 scanner sweep anywhere. Once that scanner sweep ends, all units that were moving will be stuck in their current animation. Note that if you kill any of these units, the game will crash.

Player 19:

Player 19 is quite different from the players mentioned so far. Player 19 has the power of text. What I mean is, Player 19 can controll what you type. It has the power to add 3 characters before every sentence, and what's unique about this player is that those 3 characters of text will last throughout your complete session of Starcaft. Depending on the number of units or sprite-units that are placed for player 19, you will get 3 different characters of text. You can even get colour codes in your text, making it red, yellow, green, etc. Holding enter will spam the game with your 3 characters of text.

Player 161:

This is the second most powerful player following player 14. This player has the ability to cloak or uncloak any unit in the game. This player has not been exparimented with enough to give you accurate instructions of usage. What we have discovered is that you can't have pre-placed vision of this player, or it may crash. This player is also known for cloaking other units like burrowed zerg units owned by other players.

Thanks! I won't be using this anytime soon, but i'm sure a lot more people found it helpful! Hehe.

Nice tut man.

Thanks for sharing!