Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Hacking Setup and Software

Chapter Six - Hacking Setup And Software [Hacks 50-55]

The rest of the hacks in this book are mods, which means they are not tricks or glitches-they are ways that you can hack Halo 2 itself. To try these hacks, you will need access to a modded Xbox with a mod chip installed-these are referred to as modded Xboxes.

Although it used to require significant effort to set up a modded Xbox, these days, there are simple options. If you want to get a modded Xbox but aren't interested in installing a mod chip, you can buy a pre-modded system online. For more information about pre-modded Xboxes, refer to http://www.xbox-modchips.com/premodded.htm. For more information about using modded Xboxes, refer to http://www.xbox-scene.com. The following books also have a great deal of information on modding an Xbox.

The Black Art of Xbox Mods, by Jonathan Harbour (SAMS)

Game Console Hacking, by Joe Grand (Syngress)

Hacking the Xbox, by Andrew "Bunnie" Huang (No Starch Press)

Once the Xbox has been modded, you should set up FTP access so that you can network it with a PC. This access allows you to transfer Halo 2 files (such as maps) to your PC, modify them, and transfer them back to your Xbox. You can use any FTP client to perform the transfer-I use CuteFTP (http://www.cuteftp.com).

NOTE: The only way that Xbox mods can be played is via system link connection. Under absolutely no circumstances should you attempt to connect to Xbox Live with either an active mod chip, or a modded map. if you try to do this, you will be permanently banned from Xbox Live. Furthermore, attempting to use any mod on Xbox Live will seriously undermine the credibility of all modders. Anyone who uses a mod to cheat will lose the respect and support of the entire modding community.

The remainder of the hacks in this book will require the use of modding applications that run on a PC. With that in mind, this chapter introduces you to the most popular Halo 2 modding apps. For more information about Halo 2 mods and modding applications, refer to the tutorials on http://www.halomods.com.

The hack themometer level for subsequent chapters is based on how difficult the hack is to reproduce with Halo 2 modding software. In other words, the work to mod the Xbox, establish FTP connection to the Xbox hard drive, and installing the modding software is not considered in the calculation of the thermometer level.

Coming up next...

Mod Your Maps with ADI - Hack Halo 2 .MAP files using this popular application

Use an Open Source Map Editor - Use the Ch2r open source application to hack your Halo 2 maps

Mod Maps with DotHalo - DotHalo offers another Halo 2 map-editing option

Sign Your Custom Maps - Use the Encryptomatic Signature app to sign modded map files

Hack Halo 2 by Hand - Hack Halo 2 with a hex editor (Hex Workshop)

Share your Saved Games - Use the Xbox-Saves Manager to use other people's saved games

Remix Multiplayer Levels with Campaign Mode Objects - Use Insolence to inject single-player campaign assets into multiplayer maps

Weapon Mods

This excerpt and the following threads have all been taken from the book Halo 2 Hacks (pg.105-106), by Stephen Cawood.

WTF?

You can go on Xbox Live with mods...

You just cant use a chip.

And you get banned once you log off.

But you can leave your xbox on forever...

For all that dont know...

To be able to FTP to your xbox, you have to exploit Splinter Cell or Mech Assualt (I prefer Splinter Cell) with a hacked game save file (You can find it on google most likely)

And it runs a Linux application on your Xbox and creates an FTP server...

Then you FTP your maps, edit the tags, sign it, FTP back, and play!!!!!!

Its REALLY simple once you get the hang of it...

Too bad LordBren wasnt here, hes like godly at modding.

yeah, why did lord_bren get kicked outta here? T_T I miss him...

you dont HAVE to use a chip...there is something called Softmodding(wich btw is way easier)

there is also an alternative to xbox..

Xbox Connect

and

Xlink Kai

google on or there other...basically you hook your xbox to your pc and it trick your xbox into thinking itis connected to other xboxs...and walla...

I use soeftmods...

Auto Installer Delux.

With an Evox Dash.

Chips blow anyways...

Once its chipped, you can never go back...

But with a soft modded dash, you can restore the M$ dash.

I also use Kai..

and it blows =P

Dude, Viper.

Why did you make a topic on this? You dont even mod. You dont even have a box!!!

I made this because Glaive had let me borrow his Halo 2 Hacks book. i figured, since we are starting the Halo section on GC, why not start it off with som serious topics? As this site's slogan goes, gamehacking made easy, what are we doing? Hackin' the Xbox so that we can mod it. :)

Now what we need, is a very detailed step by step process with pictures of someone modding their Xbox, so easy that anyone can follow it...

...Apparently... The people that made the guides I read about Xbox modding assume we know where everything

in an Xbox's circuit board is... No pictures to help, only words... This might be tough... >.<

I use soeftmods...

Auto Installer Delux.

With an Evox Dash.

Chips blow anyways...

Once its chipped, you can never go back...

But with a soft modded dash, you can restore the M$ dash.

I also use Kai..

and it blows =P

Dude, Viper.

Why did you make a topic on this? You dont even mod. You dont even have a box!!!

rofl...just hearing "auto installer deluxe"...i just softmodded it and ftped what i wanted...

Yup, i had mine softmodded over the summer and i was using Kai... but now i have my M$ dash and im on Xbox Live!