Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

HD-DVD > Blue-Ray

I wouldn't say that it is a key selling point, but the disks do have a way bigger capacity....Blu-ray looks amazing on HD also.

didn't they stop hd-dvd ?

didn't they stop hd-dvd ?

no

using out dated codecs. ill bet u dollars to donuts that hd-dvd has a better picture. i would say blu ray is a key selling point. its the cause for 1/3 it's price.

edit: another bit of ps3 ownage

edit2: lol i forgot the link: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154295

motorstorm and warhawk also delayed

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=270003

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=270001

PS3GameDates.jpg

ps3 suxors totally i mean its like

360 = wii > ps3

i havn't seen one yet store or TV ad they must be diein soon :-D go beta tapes!

Ever since the introduction of HD DVD in coordination with the announcement of Blu-ray DVD, consumers have been wondering which format will better suit their viewing needs. There is no contest. As you can see in the chart above, Blu-ray DVD is better in almost every aspect.

The storage capacity of Blu-ray is its most obvious strength, gaining a full 10 GB of storage for every layer. The numerical aperture, which is a dimensionless number that details the range of angles over which a respective player can accept or emit light, is much higher on a Blu-ray DVD player than an HD player, meaning that the Blu-ray players can display more resolution per line on a High-Definition television. In terms of physical advantages, the fact that the surface layer thickness is smaller on Blu-ray DVDs is a great advantage. Along with this is a clear polymer coating which gives Blu-ray discs an unprecedented level of scratch resistance.

In addition to all these great advantage over HD DVD, Sony has announced that the PlayStation 3 will be shipped with a Blu-ray drive, allowing all consumers who invest in one to watch their Blu-ray DVDs without having to buy a separate player (Sony did this with the PlayStation 2 as well, including a DVD drive so consumers would buy it for efficiency).

With all these advantages, there can be no doubt as to which format you should choose when buying a High-Definition player. Blu-ray has everything that HD DVD has plus much more, so making this decision shouldn’t be hard.

------------------------------

Who Supports the Format

Both formats have backing from industry heavyweights in the consumer electronics, computer and video game markets.

HD DVD is supported by Hewlett-Packard, Intel, Toshiba and Microsoft, which will be offering an add-on HD DVD player for its popular Xbox 360 game console. The big movie house that supports HD DVD is Universal Studios.

Blu-ray, by comparison, is supported by Pioneer, Samsung and Sony, the latter of which is going to be building Blu-ray compatibility directly into the Playstation 3 game system. Blu-ray players are shipping from LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Philips and Sharp, in addition to the three main backers of this format.

In terms of support from studios, here's an interesting quote: "Eighty-four percent of all the movies released last year were made by studios that have announced support for Blu-ray," says Jim Sanduski, senior vice president of marketing for Samsung's Audio and Video Products Group."

Reference sites: Blu-ray.com and HD-DVD's TheLookAndSoundOfPerfect.com.

Technical Differences

According to the Blu-ray team: "Because Blu-ray utilizes a lens with a greater numerical aperture than HD-DVD, the laser spot can be focused with greater precision to fit more data on the same size disc. This allows Blu-ray to hold 25GB per layer (50GB on a dual-layer disc), whereas HD-DVD can only hold 15GB per layer (30GB on a dual-layer disc). Blu-ray has also adopted a higher data transfer rate for video and audio (54Mbps vs 36.55Mbps)."

Remember, though, that according to the technical specs, Beta was a better video format than VHS too... More importantly, the 15GB of HD DVD is claimed to be "just enough to fit a high-def movie", except if you're a movie fan, you already know that movies can vary in length from 80 minutes to over three hours. Having a movie split onto two disks is a terrible solution, and this is one of the reasons I prefer Blu-ray, personally.

The Cost of a Player

Price-wise, however, there's also a big difference. HD DVD players are in the $500 range, while Blu-ray pictures are $1000 or more coming out of the gate. The disks themselves should be a roughly similar price but, needless to say, if you buy a movie in one format and put it into a player for the other it's not going to work (however regular DVD movies will play fine in either high-def player).

Picking the Winner

So which format should you buy at the end of the day? A lot of pundits believe that the lower-cost and first mover advantage of HD DVD will make it unbeatable, but I believe that the wider support and additional capabilities of Blu-ray will cause it to emerge as the winner. It just might take a few years, and when the "losing" format is clear, there are going to be a lot of unhappy consumers, sorry to say.

Take your pick, but you might just consider it a short-term purchase with the possibility that in two or three years you might have to purchase your favorite movies again, in the other format...

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/bluray_versus..._is_better.html

a fun lil video to watch against sony and the ps3 (its less than a minute long).

i would pull up an article saying that hd-dvd is the better choice, but i dont happen to know one off the top of my head. if i come across a good one ill be sure to post it here. untill then, u can check that site and see that hd-dvd is currently winning.

thats weird because i could show you a site that would show that blu-ray is a better format and is backed by bigger studios, but I will be like poply and say I don't feel like it. As I recall this thread isn't how you hate ps3, its about what the better format for next gen movies is...

lol

thats weird because i could show you a site that would show that blu-ray is a better format and is backed by bigger studios, but I will be like poply and say I don't feel like it. As I recall this thread isn't how you hate ps3, its about what the better format for next gen movies is...

lol

yah, i said i dont feel like getting an article [/sarcasm]

no, this thread is about me bashing blu-ray and everyone else's comments, not all of us trying to find the best format.

Well there are many more people who believe that Blu-ray is the better format...I have seen blu-ray in person because my dad just got a blu-ray player recently, it looks great I can tell you that, I guess I won't really know what the better format is untill I can see both side-by-side.

im sure if many more people were behind blu-ray then it would be winning... evidently its not winning, so its not backed up by the majority?

it is backed by bigger studios, and for every article that you bring up that says its bad, I can present one by experts saying its good. I cannot make a final informed decision untill I see both side by side. You can go to any store and see way more copies of blue ray movies available than you can of HD-DVD, thats a fact.

I know im bumping up this old thread...but can Poply and those who agreed with him, still say that HD DVD > Blu Ray? :P

Blu Ray is outselling HD DVD(i forget the exact ratio)...and earlier this month, Block Buster has announced that it will only be carrying Blu Ray and taking off HD DVD from there shelves from stores nationwide :P

ya blu-ray is winning and will likely win. i only argued against blu-ray because it was beneficial to my argument against the ps3. i still wish hd-dvd won.