Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Starcraft Lan Lag

My brother and I play Starcraft...er...try to. When we play just each other, there is no lag what so ever and it runs just fine.

However...when we play the same game with other people, the old comp lags like a MOFO and...it can't host games, but the new one can.

Why?

It just sucks cock and can't handle the load?

What's the old comp like? I mean, HZ RAM etc.

Old comp = 897 Mhz and 256 Ram

New comp = 2.25 Ghz and 256 Ram

Old comp = EMachine

New comp = Dell

Well I'll be darned...

It just sucks cock and can't handle the load? - 897 Mhz and 256 Ram

When I had 850 MHZ and 384 MB RAM I could host perfectly. It's another irrelevant fact that my comp is 1,1 GHZ and 512 MB RAM afaik at the moment.

So I doubt that.

I think it has something to do with the Port Forwarding. Routers can only direct it to one computer, and the other one doesn't get any of the packets it would need to play. So, you cannot play on 2 comps at the same time on BNET, unless you find a way to change the Port Settings of SC.

What if we just called our ISP to supply us with another modem. Do you think they would do that and not charge us? Would getting a second modem so that both the comps have two different internet would it change anything?

Most 99% only give 1 modem per line, What you can do is pay for a second cable or phone line if you want to go that route. Or you could just fix the router's and starcrafts ports. Wich if i recall is alot harder then Wc3 :D

Would paying for that extra line increase my monthly bill?

I believe yes, but actually I have no idea.

Same thing happens to me. My brother can't even join the same game as me, so at least it sorta works for you.

Change the ports... :/

Go to RegEdit on the computer that's on a wireless card.

Go to: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Battle.net\Configuration]

then make a dword named, "Game Data Port" and put in the value 6113 in decimal.

Now you have to set up the router, or ask your your provider to do so. Set the configured UDP port forward on the router to proper IP. Ensure yourself, that you really configure UDP protocol, not TCP. And bam!, you can create games. However, you can only join a game with both computers, not create one where the other joins.

Note: I don't know if this still works as I don't play starcraft anymore but this is what I did.

Uh...my other computer isn't using a wireless card?

Do it to one of the two computers then >.>

Okay I'll do it to the one that lags when other people in the game.

Change the ports... :/

Go to: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Battle.net\Configuration]

Now you have to set up the router, or ask your your provider to do so. Set the configured UDP port forward on the router to proper IP. Ensure yourself, that you really configure UDP protocol, not TCP. And bam!, you can create games. However, you can only join a game with both computers, not create one where the other joins.

Note: I don't know if this still works as I don't play starcraft anymore but this is what I did.

Isnt that the same as just port fowarding?

port forwarding is so you can create games where others can join, and yes this is partly the same as port forwarding. However, you're forwarding a specific port to a certain computer to use.

My friends got the same problem its nothing to do with the speed of ur comp right now im running a 3.2 ghz dual core 512 graphics card and 4 gigs ram and i cant host its the ports on ur comp bnet needs port 6112 open to host so if ur in the same game 1 comp is gonna lag when u both acess the same ports :P

you know how many people post this at the battle net forums man! even i have this problem its battle.net and that trick in the regedit doesnt work. i tried that two years ago. nothing works. it lag all the time its kinda fun lagging the game u can piss ppl off but here are some i found at battle net:

http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?f...amp;#post186017

looks like they delete threads everyday nevermind man but it use to be there like 5 a day!!

ijust found my old post here:

http://www.bwhacks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3643

Edited by curry

1.) I don't have a router and the 2 computers are connected just by a cable. The internet connection is directly plugged in FROM the cable modem to the Gateway computer. The "network" cable also runs FROM the Gateway to the EMachines.

2.) I've also noticed that when I try to share information FROM the EMachines computer TO the Gateway computer (Its not a Dell) that I am not able to access the WINDOWS directory or Program Files/any directory under C Drive other than typical ones like My Documents and what not; is this because of the NTFS file system?

3.) I read curry's old posts on bwhacks.com or w/e and I understand very little of it in the beginning but nothing after that. I would appreciate it if someone were to give me a sort of step-by-step explanation on how to fix this in the same way that curry's old posts helped him. I feel like a newb...haha.

bump

Someone help, pl0x?

Just change the port SC runs on for one of your PCs.

I did it and it worked just fine.

Also have to open that port in your router, btw.

>>>>Change the ports... :/

Go to: [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareBattle.netConfiguration]

<<<<<

Thanks David K!!

This worked for me... I had set port forwarding up in my linksys wireless router and set a static ip on my computers but only the wired one would be able to create games.. My boys two computers that are wirelessly connected could not... this is apparently because the router doesn't know what computer to send info to because it only sees the router ip and standard port 6112... changing one wireless computer to port 6113 and the other to port 6114 worked and both wireless computers can now create games and apparently do so without lag.... thanks!! only a small correction I found is that in XP... blizzard config is in localmachine..not currentuser...

mike393

<<<<<

Thanks David K!!

This worked for me... I had set port forwarding up in my linksys wireless router and set a static ip on my computers but only the wired one would be able to create games.. My boys two computers that are wirelessly connected could not... this is apparently because the router doesn't know what computer to send info to because it only sees the router ip and standard port 6112... changing one wireless computer to port 6113 and the other to port 6114 worked and both wireless computers can now create games and apparently do so without lag.... thanks!! only a small correction I found is that in XP... blizzard config is in localmachine..not currentuser...

mike393

<<<<<

Thanks David K!!

mike393

<<<<<

Thanks David K!!

mike393

Nice man even tho you completely copied this, and this was posted over a year ago.

Sorry for the double posting... there were lag issues with either my internet or the forum...

I appreciate the help even if it was a year old.. my kids and I wanted to play the old SC before the new one comes out... What are we guessing now? February?

mike