Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Cord Cut Off Girls Feet At SixFlags

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The president of Swiss ride-maker Intamin said a failed cord on Six Flags' Kentucky Kingdom's Superman Tower of Power is what caused a girl's legs to be severed while she rode it on Thursday.

Intamin president Sandor Kernacs said his company provided the ride to Kentucky Kingdom about 14 years ago, but did not supply the cord.

Dispatchers said they were notified of the accident around 5 p.m. Thursday. Officials said both the teen's feet were detached above the ankles.

According to Kentucky Kingdom's Web site the Superman Tower of Power is 177 feet tall and drops riders at 54 miles per hour.

“We seen the cable break loose soon as it got to the top on the right-hand side,” said Chris Williams, who witnessed the event.

Treva Smith said it snapped again as the ride descended.

“The people on the ride just came and hit the ground,” Smith said.

Williams said she saw the teen maimed.

“As the ride came down, the wire swung left, struck the young lady on the back side of my children,” Williams said.

Williams’ daughter Amber said she gave up her seat to the 13-year-old and was sitting on the other side of the ride. Williams rushed toward the ride to find his daughter. As Smith raced to find members of her group, she said she made a gruesome discovery.

“When I got up there, the lady, she was just sitting there and she didn’t have no legs,” Smith said. “She didn’t have no legs at all. She was just calm, probably in shock from everything.”

Smith said she saw no blood and the girl wasn’t crying, but the same couldn’t be said for many who witnessed the incident on the ride formerly known as the Hellevator.

“My son’s over there tripping out, man,” Williams said. “You want to come to a park and feel safe you know. We’ve got season passes. We’re not coming back for sure.”

But other visitors aren’t so worried.

“Every park, one in a million maybe something happens,” park visitor Kenneth Lay said. “But I have no fear.”

On scene EMT personnel were on hand to immediately transport the girl to a hospital. As of 10:34 p.m. Thursday there was no word on her condition.

Inspectors arrived Thursday night to begin determining what happened. They said they checked checking the cable in question.

The ride was shut down and was scheduled to remain so until the investigation has been completed. On Friday, Six Flags spokeswoman Carolyn McClean said the company is shutting down similar rides in other parks. King's Island in Cincinnati, which has a similar ride from the same manufacturer, announced that ride will be closed until it has been inspected.

Intamin is considered a leader in the design of amusement park rides. It has supplied some two dozen different styles of rides at amusement parks around the world. The company is responsible for a number of rides similar to Superman Tower of Power, and is credited with inventing the first free-fall ride.

http://www.wlky.com/news/13547817/detail.html

Heard about it..

very sad

i heard of this things happen... but was it the girl that gave up her seat or the person that took here seat that passage is not clear..... well to me because i BLOW at reading.

Ouch, that is horrible :) .

that is sad but i do have to say "theres going to be a lawsuit" im sure of it

man that had to hurt and no dout theres going to be a lawsuit

Man... that is way too sad. This one ride changed her life by giving her severed legs. There should be a lawsuit because they don't even seem to care in that article.

You're not suppose to state your opinions in articles...

There is a lawsuit. It's for an "Undisclosed Amount"

My aunt said that they couldn't reattach her feet =\

Six Flags is being sued out the ass most likely

it was weird how she was the only one hurt and only her feet got chopped off. i think the only reason they will be sued is for hospitable bills. its not they knew it was going to break on that one day and there was nothing they could do you cant stop the ride in mid air.

No, Six Falgs immediately agreed to pay all hospital bills, and are still being sued

Poor girl. I hope they get all the money that they ask for. No money amount could make up for missing feet and the shock associated with it.

There is a lawsuit. It's for an "Undisclosed Amount"

My aunt said that they couldn't reattach her feet =\

Six Flags is being sued out the ass most likely

Well gee imagine that. Greedy ass holes.

This happened fairly close to me by the way. It was in Louisville, Kentucky and I live on the south western tip of Indiana. There is an amusement park near me (in Santa Clause, Indiana) called Holiday World (Maybe some of you guys have heard about it) and they have a similar ride called Liberty something, except it's not as tall. My local news reporters were there and were talking to the person that manages the place. He said the ride has completely different parts, made by different companies and such. They just did a check up on the equipment (They do it once every six months, and that's not even Government Standards) (meaning they do it more than needed) and it passed so they were saying we have nothing to worry about.

I'd seriously hate to be this girl. Only 13 and no feet. :)

she could sue for alot, like her life is fucked, even with millions extra, fuck,., man no feet wth. they'l give her fake 1's but still. I hope the artificial legs help her out. :)