Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Pentagon looks at cuts in Iraq, addition

Pentagon looks at cuts in Iraq, additions in Afghanistan

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Two top Pentagon officials said Wednesday that they expect to be able to recommend troops cuts in Iraq this fall and will try to increase troops in Afghanistan.

Adm. Mike Mullen, right, and Defense Secretary Robert Gates speak at the Pentagon on Wednesday.

The remarks came after U.S. soldiers were killed Sunday in the deadliest firefight in Afghanistan in recent years.

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates said he had ruled out extending the deployment of U.S. forces in Afghanistan or making tours longer than 15 months, leaving few options other than shifting troops who were destined for Iraq to Afghanistan instead.

"We are clearly working very hard to see if there are opportunities to send additional forces sooner rather than later," he said.

He said there is no pending request for a troop reduction.

The comments about Afghanistan come after nine U.S. soldiers were killed in a Taliban attack on an outpost in eastern Afghanistan.

p to 200 militants were reported to have been involved in Sunday's attack, which overtook a small U.S.-led observation point but failed to breach the main base near the village of Wanat in Kunar province. Afghan sources said that up to 100 militants were killed in the fighting. 

"They were well-trained, well-armed," Mullen said. "It was a significant number, and it was a very complex attack."

It was the deadliest attack on U.S. troops in Afghanistan in three years, underscoring how the conflict is escalating. Since May, U.S. and coalition troop deaths in Afghanistan have exceeded those in Iraq.

This attack pushed the July death toll for U.S. forces in Afghanistan to 15, compared with six in Iraq.

"The enemy in Afghanistan has grown bolder, more sophisticated and more diverse," Mullen said. 

"We can and must do better," he said.

In Iraq, the U.S. is withdrawing the last of its five "surge" brigades: those sent to Iraq in 2007 to bolster U.S. forces there.

Mullen said Monday that violence in Iraq was down to its lowest point in four years and that a decision whether to drop the number of troops below the level preceding the surge would come this year.

Source(s): shouldIevenbother.com

Enjoy your crap news ( you can thank Cripp and Zar); I really hope they enjoy and read this piece of shit.

Please comment. Post interesting thoughts about this story; I'm really expecting detailed comments from both Cripp and Zar.

Edited by Protoman

tl;dr

Seriously, they've been there for like at least 5 years, who cares now?

tl;dr

Seriously, they've been there for like at least 5 years, who cares now?

Didn't even bother to read it. Just posted something truly relevant to World News to satisfy both Zar and Cripp. Apparently, interesting news doesn't compare to crap news they're interested in. 

Cripp: " I want to know what the world is like; I'm going to critique Proto and make him tell me about the world. "

I've created a new name for this type of news: "Shit News" featuring Cripp as the sponsorer.

Well I do agree we needed some real news, no need to take such offence to it. Also, Zhuiden what do you mean by who cares?

Well I do agree we needed some real news, no need to take such offence to it. Also, Zhuiden what do you mean by who cares?

I vote we should have a section dedicated to interesting news, let someone else dig into the vague and uninteresting news. I wouldn't mind posting political or other news of relevance sometimes, but it's too tedious and unentertaining. I rather browse for something worth reading instead of wasting people's time with shit news ( sponsored by Cripp).

Why not create a new section called "information reports" or something.

Edited by Protoman

Exactly what I mean. I personally am from Hungary, this thing doesn't concern me in ANY SINGLE WAY. It's old news. Iraq Iraq Iraq who cares? They're there, stealing the oil, what now?

I must agree that the stripper chick isn't exactly World News, but the death of an american boxer isn't either. If you just can't agree on that we should have news that are worth mentioning, then shut up.

By the way, Protoman is the News Manager.

World news is a collection of news from around the world so this is a world news article. Protoman you are the news manager like Zhuiden stated, you should not be showing so much bias. Wouldn't "information reports" be news??? I think your job is to post news people find interesting, cripp wanted to see news about things that affect the world which is going to be mostly political, and some people want to see news about strippers stripping at a funeral. People find it interesting so put the news up, it shouldn't be to hard.

World news is a collection of news from around the world so this is a world news article. Protoman you are the news manager like Zhuiden stated, you should not be showing so much bias. Wouldn't "information reports" be news??? I think your job is to post news people find interesting, cripp wanted to see news about things that affect the world which is going to be mostly political, and some people want to see news about strippers stripping at a funeral. People find it interesting so put the news up, it shouldn't be to hard.

Your point is valid and I understand your prospect of the situation, but Cripp is implying that the news prior to this one are irrelevant and shouldn't be posted in the World News section. I find that the news I've posted are very interesting and enjoyable to read. Cripp and Zar are debating that I shouldn't post my news. :( (sad face)

If you look back at the Stripper funneral thread, Zar and Cripp complain that my story is irrelevant.

Edited by Protoman
grammar issues

Maybe they should make an "Other News" section where you can post the news about strippers and "gag" items that would other wise be deemed as non-world news related.

Oh and thank you for the news article if you could put the source that would be appreciated.

Maybe they should make an "Other News" section where you can post the news about strippers and "gag" items that would other wise be deemed as non-world news related.

Oh and thank you for the news article if you could put the source that would be appreciated.

The source isn't necessary because its too gay for me to post.

A section devoted to news relevant to what I've posting should be something similar to " Information news" or "Qualtity news". If I think of other names, I'll post them.

Thought of perfect name "Misc.News" (miscellaneous)

Edited by Protoman
Thought of another

If you are posting news articles written by someone other than yourself you "need" to have a source due to copyright laws. So please put back your own personal biases and post the source please.

Misc.News sounds good to me.

Oh and please read XGhozt's post here: XGhozt's post

Edited by Zar