Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Paypal Considers Safari To Be Insecure

PayPal Considers Safari To Be Insecure

If you're looking for a safe browser for Internet commerce, PayPal says you should stay away from Apple's Safari.

In an interview with Michael Barrett, PayPal's chief information security officer, the focus was on two specific features: phishing filters and EV-SSL support. Both Firefox and IE7 have phishing filters built in and turned on by default. IE7 has support built in for Extended Validation (EV-SSL), which shows a green address bar for authenticated sites; Firefox and Opera will in upcoming versions.

Safari has no phishing filter and Apple does not participate in the CA/Browser Forum, the group that developed EV-SSL.

"Apple, unfortunately, is lagging behind what they need to do, to protect their customers," Barrett said. "Our recommendation at this point, to our customers, is use Internet Explorer 7 or 8 when it comes out, or Firefox 2 or Firefox 3, or indeed Opera."

Barrett went further, echoing the thrust of VeriSign's No More Abandoned Carts campaign, that the green bar instills confidence in users, claiming that IE7 users are noticeably less likely to abandon the login process. Confidence isn't the same thing as security, but it's not nothing. VeriSign says that similar effects have been observed by Overstock.com, DebtHelp.com, and now Scribendi.

Source: http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2008/...afari_to_be.php

this is one of the many many reasons i have Windows

windows tanks badly i don't use paypal so im good only thing apple has to do is release a patch and boom problem solved

Safari works on windows.. lol..

but it was made by Mac... so in that case... it sucks

Windows > Mac anyday.

Only thing of Apple i have is the iPhone and its not that great.

Windows > Mac anyday.

YOUR MY KINDA GUY :grin:

yah safari is not that good because its not secured in many ways =/

Windows > Mac anyday.

Lol no. If Windows was better, why would they steal ideas for Vista from the Mac?

Also, I doubt that's true, also Safari is faster than IE any day.

Well played.

Windows > Mac anyday.

Lol no. If Windows was better, why would they steal ideas for Vista from the Mac?

Also, I doubt that's true, also Safari is faster than IE any day.

Actually, Safari has been proven to be the slowest out of IE, Safari, and Firefox.

Also, try running some third party programs on a mac, and tell me if you get a runtime error or not <_< .

Windows > Mac anyday.

Meh, I personally love my iPhone, but that is just because its extreamly convient for my three thousand songs.

Stupid Safari. I actually have had problems with it before.

claiming that IE7 users are noticeably less likely to abandon the login process.

I think this says more about IE users then it does about IE.

E.G. they generally are more gullible and don't really care about anything related to security lol.