Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Firefox 3.5 officially released.

Firefox 3.5 is released

I figured since Firefox 3.5 was out - and we love it - I'd post a nice article for everyone. Here's a rundown of what's new, and some quick tips you might want to know! First things first, it's amazingly noticeably faster, I didn't think I'd notice an increase in speed, but wow!

The first thing that comes to mind when you think about upgrading firefox, is what happened last time we updated firefox. All of our favorite addons died! Well, this time it's not as bad, but don't expect to not lose a few of your friends. Here's a list of what's update and what's not, thanks to mozilla. Compatibility Report

Some of these new features for 3.5 are not really "new" but there what's now native to the browser, and we love that.

Undo Close Window
- Open windows you've closed.

Forget this site
- Completely remove all evidence of a website you visited.

Tab Tearing
- Drag tabs off your main window, to forge new ones.

Keyword Awesomebar filters
- try typing "ghozt *"

Private Browsing Mode
- No evidence of any website visited will be kept.

Color Profiles
- Updated to be display images

GeoLocation
- Locationaware browsing.

HTML5 and CSS3 Support
- Web webmasters love this.

With location-aware browsing, web pages, addons and firefox applications can use an API to see where you're located. If you're like me, and hate that idea. There's a easy way to disable it. Open up your about:config and locate geo.enabled - set this to false.

Interested in seeing how geolocation works? Here's a demo: http://3liz.org/geolocation/

If you want your old addons to work before they're updated by the author. Including Ghoztcraft Menu! - Here's how:

We're going to create two new entries in your about:config

Create a new boolean key called extensions.CheckCompatibility, set it to false.

Then create another boolean key called extensions.CheckUpdateSecurity, and set it to false.

Then simply restart the browser, and all your old addons will be enabled, assuming they don't break anything.

Unfortunatly, one of my favorites Tab Mix Plus, does not work correctly. However, I was able to get a few settings to work by re-toggling them in the settings for the addon. Hopefully this addon get's an update soon.

Need a nice recap? Check out this video: http://videos.mozilla.org/serv/marketing/f...35_overview.ogv

Download Firefox 3.5

Check out XGhozt.com if you want to see some of the CSS3 effects in action. The corners of the page are rounded, the text has shadow, and some of the boxs even have shadow effects! For the different, open the page is IE8, you'll be able to see a glimmer into the future of the web.

I would love to get this D=

But I can't live without Tab Mix Plus :o

You should add a download link

There is a download link.

Oh sorry I didn't see it if you don't mind im going to edit your post and make the link bold and underlined so it is easier to find.

Lol ruler.

Anyways, I love firefox.

Oh sorry I didn't see it if you don't mind im going to edit your post and make the link bold and underlined so it is easier to find.

I did.

Hahaha! This is so cool! Firefox 3.5 has support for CSS3 - which includes a new element: "text-shadow" - I made all the text on the Ghoztcraft skin have a cool shadow! hahaha!

Should do that for the staff skin too! :P

Does that mean I'll lose all my themes?

Yeah, a lot of the themes don't work anymore. But the Nasa Night Launch theme still works!

Ooooh that's the one I use! rofl. :P

OOOOH I see the shadows. :D

Although I like download links too, but for something like this you know you can always just go to Help, in the Firefox toolbar and click Check for Updates. :P