Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

It was bound to happen

This was so bound to happen - A Trojan which impersonates the Windows activation process and asks the users to enter their credit card details.

The Trojan, called Trojan.Kardphisher, has been spotted in the wild by Symantec researchers. The Trojan isn't all that clever, instead it relies on social engineering to get users to part with their details.

Here's the scam. The Trojan installs itself onto a PC and presents the user with the following message:

Your copy of Windows has been activated by another user.

To help reduce software piracy, please re-activate your copy of Windows now.

WE will ask for your billing details, but your credit card will NOT be charged.

You must activate Windows before you can continue to use it.

Microsoft is committed to your Privacy. For more information,
www.microsoft.com/piracy

Do you want to activate Windows now?

It looks pretty convincing too (check out the images here and here).

If users select "No," the PC shuts down while clicking "Yes" takes the user to a second screen which asks for the victim's name and credit card details.

Symantec offers the following advice:

This Trojan teaches us all a good lesson - Trust No One. This is the slogan from the TV show
The X-Files
, and very much applies when it comes to protecting your personal information. Sometimes the creators of Trojans attempt to impersonate Microsoft, a bank, or even a government organization. Whatever the warning or message says, we must make very sure it is genuine before giving up any personal details, financial or otherwise. It's far better to doubt a genuine request until proper verification is provided, than it is to blindly place your trust in a communique simply because it appears to have come from a trusted source.

Source: http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=390

Wow, whoever thought of that is pretty smart. I bet my dad would fall for that.

I suppose it is a good thing I run windows 2k.

No its saying people that download it from the internet. what he ment was it is a trojan boot leg copy..

No its saying people that download it from the internet. what he ment was it is a trojan boot leg copy..

no thats not what he ment,

It's a file that loads onto ANY computer(it might only work on XP by design) and pops up that lil activation thing.

If you get it in win2k it's obvisou that it's fake, but it can happen to completely legit windows too

dude.... my dad would have fell for that shit in a heart beat wow thx ghozt now alls we need is a way to get rid of it >.>

Wow, whoever thought of that is pretty smart. I bet my dad would fall for that.

Lawl

dude.... my dad would have fell for that shit in a heart beat wow thx ghozt now alls we need is a way to get rid of it >.>

Haha.

Good thing my parents are computer illiterate. I don't know if they'd fall for it not. Maybe they would. :-/ Who knows.

Vista FTW

Yeah, Vista FTW is right.:

Not.

Its pretty obvious to me, first of all. It doesn't popup but once every 6 hours, or idling.

And second of all its internet or phone activation.

Lol I saw that video about the paper shredder. That made me LOl. I have vista. I did NOT install it. My lap top came with it and so far i enjoy it as much as i enjoy my desktop which has XP

Lol I saw that video about the paper shredder. That made me LOl. I have vista. I did NOT install it. My lap top came with it and so far i enjoy it as much as i enjoy my desktop which has XP

Yeah, and you can't play any games on it, correct?

If some one is that stupid to be like oh all of a sudden i have to "upgrade" or what ever and enter all my shit then go back to school.

Yeah, and you can't play any games on it, correct?

Gaming is for my Desk top. I get the best of both worlds. But I can play steam games on my Lap top.

ubuntu + beryl its better than the rest and you wont get virused or anything

better yes

but you can still get viruses, your just imune to windows viruses and open to linux viruses

much more deadly HAHAHAHA!

I guess it's a good thing some of you are too smart to fall for such a rouse.

(3.6% of you)