Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Missing Ram?

Okay so I have 4 sticks of RAM, 1 gigabyte each, so a total of 4 gigabytes of RAM.

When I look in the task manager and add up the ram used from all of the processes on my entire computer put together it adds up to only about half a gigabyte being used.

So my computer should have 3.5 gigabytes of RAM left, right? But instead, it says there is only 0.52 gigabytes left.

Why is this, and how do I fix it? Please help.. x_x

29383018uv1.png

Well first of all the 32 bit OS is only going to recognize 3.25 or 3.5 if your lucky. no way around it unless you upgrade to a 64bit OS.

now my guess is that it's still there but only .5 g of ram is available at that moment. did you restart and check again?

Thanks but I have a 64bit OS.

I've had this OS and RAM for years now, and always run into this problem; available RAM does not equal total RAM minus RAM being used. I have restarted my computer multiple times in that time period.

Please tell me how to fix this problem. It's really annoying. x_X

I figured I'd ask here since I've asked at pretty much all the other forums I know of already, and no one helped.

Turn off your computer, open the case, rearrange the RAMs. Restart, check.

Also you should make sure you have view all processes on.

Okay... I looked into it here is what you do.

Right click My computer.

Click properties.

Click the advanced tab.

click performance.

click advanced tab

click change

unclick automatically manage my drives...

click NO PAGE FILING.

click set

click yes

close everything and restart.

That will fix it.

(I use vista, so yours will be the slightest bit different when you right click my copmputer. Just click properites, and you will get there.)

(also, i did open the windows exp index so you guys could see my pwning comp lol...)

slasher that will just stuff up his comp because it lowers the virtual memory...

Turn off your computer, open the case, rearrange the RAMs. Restart, check.

Also you should make sure you have view all processes on.

Thanks, I've already tried rearranging them countless times though. And yes I do have "Show processes from all users" checked.

Okay... I looked into it here is what you do.

Right click My computer.

Click properties.

Click the advanced tab.

click performance.

click advanced tab

click change

unclick automatically manage my drives...

click NO PAGE FILING.

click set

click yes

close everything and restart.

That will fix it.

(I use vista, so yours will be the slightest bit different when you right click my copmputer. Just click properites, and you will get there.)

(also, i did open the windows exp index so you guys could see my pwning comp lol...)

Okay I'll give that a try. I thought the page file was supposed to make more RAM available instead of less, but I guess it can't hurt to try. BRB will say if it works.

if your computer stuffs up just go into safe mode and reset the settings.

Back

I don't think it worked.

I set it to "No paging file" for all drives

pagefd9.png

And closed almost everything so that I should have nearly 4 gigabytes of free RAM

processesya4.png

But for some reason there isn't even 3 gigabytes of free RAM, and almost a gigabyte of (non-existent) page file is being used, when I don't even have 300 megabytes of programs running @_@

memoryct9.png

Is there any way to fix this?

Right click on your My Computer > Properties and post a screenshot of that please.

DL security task manager and post a screenie of that

memorymc7.pngsecuritytaskmanagerqo8.pngpropertiesrz9.png

Still on Service pack 2 eh? it would seem that windows only notices 3.25 GB of ram thats odd as a 64 bit supports up to 64 teras

Still on Service pack 2 eh?
Which is equivalent to Windows XP 32-bit version Service Pack 3, yes.

If you have any clue where an official Service Pack 3 can be downloaded for Windows XP 64-bit, could you please post the link? I didn't know that such a thing even existed yet.

Have you actually tried searching it on Microsoft's site?

well 1 gig could be your motherboards max

but idk...

try using all your ram and seeing what it does... in other words play a newer game that uses alot of ram and see if it makes xp go "ohh shit theres more here" but like i said it could be your motherboards max

in other words it could be limiting xp from using all the ram you put in it

Thanks for trying to help, but please read before replying.