Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

California Gov. calls for no fireworks

California governor calls for no fireworks

SACRAMENTO, Calif. | No less a patriot than the governor himself is asking Californians to forgo home fireworks this Fourth of July — though he expects the charities that sell them will scream.

With hundreds of wildfires charring the state, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger entreated citizens to skip the pyrotechnics this exceptionally dry year. He spoke Wednesday in Big Sur, near the Basin Complex fire where 19,100 acres have already burned.

“I know that the people who are selling all this stuff are going to go crazy now when I say this — but don’t buy any of the fireworks,” the governor said.

“You would help the fire department and the state and law enforcement and everyone a tremendous amount,” he continued, “if you want to contribute and make sure that those fires go away and we don’t have more fires coming up. So be careful. Don’t buy the fireworks, don’t go out and play with fireworks because it’s just too dry and too dangerous to do those things.”

For charities that rely on fireworks sales to bolster their shrinking revenue, Schwarzenegger’s suggestion was incendiary.

Bonnie Pattee was fuming after the governor’s announcement. As president of the Rosemont Little League, she’s in the midst of organizing the week of firework sales set to open on Saturday.

“It’s discouraging he doesn’t talk to individual groups about what else we can do,” she said of the governor’s remarks. “I don’t think any Little League can afford that kind of hit.”

The governor has not decided whether to declare a state of emergency and impose a ban on fireworks sales, said spokesman Aaron McLear. He said Schwarzenegger and state Fire Marshal Kate Dargan are discussing whether to take further steps.

Such a statewide ban would be unusual. Typically, local jurisdictions make their own decisions about allowing fireworks sales.

Source(s): http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation/story/681365.html

T_T

That's not what July 4th is all about, but it is a big part of it. Not seeing them live isn't the biggest deal, but also long as you can see them, tv/internet, that's ok in my opinion because it helps the state so much.

I wouldn't be surprised. Half of California is burning up. Here in Oregon it's smoke filled skies for us because of it. Why couldn't we have declared our independence in march...

holy shit!! i went swimming at my grandfather's house and i came back and the hill facing the freeway was burning with a statue of smoking liberty!! the 1st wildfire in diamond bar. so cool woot woot 1/8 of diamond bar got burned up. it was quite beautiful seeing an actualy live wildfire. so cool the firefighters were suffering. so cool man.

Your smoke is hitting Utah but you have to understand why, even though its kinda sad

texas for the win :) although i was born in oregon and i personally love it up in that area (washington oregon cali etc) you just cant have any real fireworks.... DAMN TREE'S lol