Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Twilight

[bored. Just randomly ranting.]

So, some of my friends wonder why I dislike Twilight so much. I've been reading it since last summer - I'm a slow reader, okay? - and I'm now finished with the series. I've enjoyed the series insomuch as it's entertaining and an easy read. I don't think the writing is super amazing by any means; it's not BAD but it's just not a literary wonder. It probably makes for good subway reading though! :D But there's something about the whole series that has really annoyed the flippin' crap out of me all along. Bella is the ultimate anti-feminist. I don't see anything wrong with being a bit tomboy-ish but seriously... Not only is she annoying, whiny, petulant and melodramatic, but she's kind of an embarrassment to women everywhere. True, she's a "young and naive" teenager, so I guess she can't be fully blamed, but if she's going to try to be an adult and go off making adult decisions like, oh I don't know, getting married, having sex, and possibly getting turned into a vampire forever and ever for the man she loves, then as an adult she kinda sucks. /:

First of all, all the men in Bella's life essentially control her, and she lets it happen. She's being overly passive. She just makes a show of being really annoyed and puts up a fuss anytime Edward overprotects her in his assumption that she is just a fragile little girl who can't help but put herself in danger's way. At one point, he "forbids" her from going to La Push to see Jacob because he "thinks it’s too dangerous for her". Yeah, right. I know the male ego. Edward is 104 years old, and he knows what he's doing - he's jealous, and he knows he has a power over her, so he acts on it and claims that it's for her "own good". She whines and barely puts up a fight, but ultimately she lets him get away with it because she "loves him" [read: she wants to please him].

And it's not just that. The very first time Edward and Bella share a "moment," it's in the act of him protecting her from a skidding car. I'm not saying he should have let Bella die, but it is rather symbolic of their entire relationship: Bella on the ground crouching in fear [helpless], and Edward poised over her, shading her from the elements. What are you trying to say, Ms. Meyer? Do all women innately need protecting? The problem with being constantly protected from danger is that you are also kept from truly living, because life is dangerous and unknown by definition right? Bella has no life outside Edward, and she is okay with that fact. No extra curricular activities and she rarely hangs out with a group friends... [EMPHASIS ON A GROUP. JACOB BLACK DOES NOT COUNT. I HONESTLY THINK SHE NEEDS TO FIND MORE FRIENDS.. -___-] That's not love; that's self-denial.

There are a million tiny examples of how Edward controls and manipulates Bella emotionally, and how she lets him, even enjoying his doing so: he won't let her drive her own car, he won't let her do stuff by herself, he hovers outside (or inside) her bedroom at night. I just want to shake her and say, "If he really loved you, he would let you be free to do what you want!"

Edward isn't the only guilty party here. Jacob is the same way, to a lesser degree. While he's more tolerable, he still treats Bella like a delicate flower that needs to be cradled and protected. And she lets all this happen; in fact, she's quite the willing participant.

What is Stephenie Meyer trying to convey to teenage girls? In my opinion, she's saying that love is about the protection and self-denial of women. Find a man who can protect you from the big, scary, dangerous world out there, girls, and you're all set. Find a superhero who would save you [the damsel in distress.] Not to mention he HAS to be the hottest, sexiest guy. All you have to do to snatch the man of your dreams is give up everything that makes you who you are. Bella completely changes her life for Edward; she gives up her high school friends, to an extent she gives up her own family, she gives up her college experience, she gives up her body, and she plans to give up her humanity - all for a man. It’s true that love IS about sacrifice and I'm not denying that fact - but what is EDWARD sacrificing?

Yeah. Tell me your opinions on the book.

No way I'm reading all of that about a book you some what did/didn't like.

Lol. If you read it, it won't take that long.

I've been told by a female person that the book is worse than the movie, and the movie is outright horrible. I don't have my own opinion on either.

If I read as slow as you do It'll take me all year.

rofl at speed!

i read first paragraph, good effort in describing it and stuff, haven't read the book so im not really into discussing it.

Haven't read it.

Never will.

Don't want to.

Anything that thousands of screaming adolescent girls like, I probably wont.

Anything that thousands of screaming adolescent girls like, I probably wont.

Yet another classic attempt to use vampires to sell cheesy nonsensical romance.

I've been told by a female person that the book is worse than the movie, and the movie is outright horrible. I don't have my own opinion on either.

Impossible. How can any book be worse than a movie?

Haven't read it.

Never will.

Don't want to.

Word.

Well according to my friends that have read it, first of all the first 2 books suck. Secondly you have to finish reading the series to understand all the immaturity. It is simply character development (and a sucky one at that). The last book in the series is the best. But don't think that the characters will get more mature. They don't. Also the ending is cheesy and quite annoying.

But what do I know, certainly don't have time to read that literary trash.

Word.

I will have to agreed on that... but have read the book.. and seen the movie...

Book better than Movie... but i think the movie SUCK ASS...

Well according to my friends that have read it, first of all the first 2 books suck. Secondly you have to finish reading the series to understand all the immaturity. It is simply character development (and a sucky one at that). The last book in the series is the best. But don't think that the characters will get more mature. They don't. Also the ending is cheesy and quite annoying.

But what do I know, certainly don't have time to read that literary trash.

i have to agree that the first two book sucks... but also,

i have read all three books.. and the third is the worst i think out of the three books...