Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

IWBTG & Spelunky (Combo Topic)

I Wanna Be The Guy (IWBTG)

I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie: The Game is a sardonic loveletter to the halcyon days of early American videogaming, packaged as a nail-rippingly difficult platform adventure. Players fill the role of The Kid, a youthful, vaguely Megaman-esque protagonist on a quest to become The Guy. This inscrutable plot, however, is just a vehicle for a wide variety of inventive, well-designed and frustrating jump-and-shoot challenges that pay homage to many of the games you loved as a child. The ever-fragile Kid explodes in a shower of red pixels at the slightest brush from the game's many obstacles, from traditional spikes and bottomless pits to more unconventional killers, such as plantlife and puzzle pieces.

Using a multiroute layout not unlike a Metroidvania, the game grants a degree of deadly exploration, without those extraneous upgades meant to make life easier. The game provides players with a choice in terms of their deathrate, thanks to a variable difficulty setting that changes the number of save points from frequent to nonexistent. IWBTG is open to all players; knowledge of videogaming history is optional, and may not help against the frequently ironic and always sadistic deathtraps located herein. And so, the question is left up to you...

Do YOU have what it takes to be The Guy?

Basically a retro platformer (dont know what that is? think Mario) fully loaded with 8-bit graphics and hilarious gameplay, kept me amused for many hours (ok so i dont play it much anymore but you lose enthusiasm when you've died over 1000 times)

don't youtube it unless you want most of your laughs that you will get out of it taken away.

Download: http://iwbtg.webserver1.snip.net/iwbtgbeta(slomo).exe

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spelunky

Probably the easiest way to describe Spelunky is that it's (kind of) like La Mulana meets Nethack - every time you play the levels, items, monsters, and so forth, are all procedurally-generated. And the terrain is destructible and there are quite a few ways in which the various game elements can interact with one another.

My goal was to create a fast-paced platform game that had the kind of tension, re-playability, and variety of a roguelike. In roguelikes, the gameplay tells the story, and I wanted to give Spelunky that type of a feeling... but make the player rely on their reflexes rather than their brain (or knowledge of what 50 billion command keys do!). If there's a best of both worlds, that's what I was trying to go for.

Basically a Platformer inwhich you control an indiana jones type character who is exploring caves, in which all of the levels are randomly generated and everything in the cave hates you and wants to kill you except for the shopkeeper who charges ridiculous prices, and sprays a round of shotgun pellets in your face if you slightly annoy him.

Okay so this one kept me pretty entertained hard to say which one i played more between IWBTG and this, at least in this game you can play it longer at once without rage-quitting. It also takes longer to get a game over and retry, but i guess i kinda lost some enthusiasm for this too (500 deaths, 500 tries, 0 wins) BUT IM SO CLOSE TO WINNING, in fact im pretty sure next time i play it i will beat the game.

Download: http://www.derekyu.com/games/spelunky_0_99_8.rar

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honourable mentions:

Eversion (platformer of a flower dude that is more similar to mario than the others, his life gets crappier and crappier and the levels more evil (beat in like 50 minutes tho so its not that good))

Mighty Jill Off: Game thats all about perfecting your jumps, spent over like 3 hours on it trying to get my level 1 completed time under 13 minutes so i could get to the second level (never got to it)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discuss.

I've got IWTBTG, That shit's way hard. I've made it to the boss tho.

I've got IWTBTG, That shit's way hard. I've made it to the boss tho.

:D ive got 4 bosses down and am at the 5th, can never get past teh spike chamber in graveyard though.

Now I've got something to keep me occupied during AP Stats :D

your lucky you get to use a computer in your AP stats, mine is all book work, er well more like Zzzzzzzzz work.

Yeah, we're lucky enough to get to use tablet pcs during our classes. The graphics cards suck ass though, so Starcraft is about as graphics intensive as we can get : (