Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Chevelle SS, restoration.

So I've been curious, more than ever now. Ive always wondered What If... or Will I bite off more than I can chew?

Anywho I've been looking around craigslist and ebay just waiting for a good buy for 8 months now, and the time is now. Someone is selling their 71 Chevelle SS for 7 grand, 1.4 miles away from my house. Garage kept, original owner.

Although like I said I'm pretty scared to make the move... I haven't seen the car yet so I cant judge based off the body pictures.

If its too bad I'm not going to go for it, I'm not looking for a frame, body restore, since Im going for a LS1 swap( possibly )

definitely new paint. With that swap a new transmission will be needed and uhg... My wants are too great, I don't think I can pull this off....

Suggestions?

anyone have any experience with this?

I don't have any experience yet but i will be restoring my mustang soon (its an 82) and it needs a lot of work such as new floor panels new carpet it needs the motor rebuilt it needs new weather stripping for the doors windows and T tops it needs a new paint job it needs new gauges etc.

I do however have some advice have faith in yourself and don't think the job is to much, if you get stuck ask some of your friends to help out. most of all DO NOT, and I will repeat DO NOT stop the restoration project out of laziness its one thing if you don't have the money but if you just become lazy about it it will never get finished.... I am a witness to that, to this day my dad's 65 mustang just sits.... and sits.... and sits....

If I buy it for about 5-7k grand I will have about 10 left over for the whole restoration. But I dont know if I want to commit all of my money into that ya know?

I have time to work on it and knowledge, and my dad has multiple friends that own shops...

Just not sure if its smart to invest in this..

I hear ya man buying a car is a big step and no matter what you always have second thoughts. Well I can't tell you what to do it's your choice, also provide the pics.

Yea if you decide to get it, pics pl0x especially before and afters :o

Totally :o

Yea if you decide to get it, pics pl0x especially before and afters :o

I'd make a day by day blog....

or on major updates that I do :D

It would be really fun :D

fuck the chevelle.... Get a camaro...

drop a 350 in it, bore it out to a 383..........

/win

fuck the chevelle.... Get a camaro...

drop a 350 in it, bore it out to a 383..........

/win

Yes Sir, Car God. Will do.

Well ehh.. Im not going to go the Chevelle route, it would be a fun car to restore and maintain but it is not for a daily driver...

Instead

I am going to buy a 99 m3 e36 :)

once the engine and tranny blows

I shall buy me an ls1 :D

Post pictures once you have it. :D

Will do, I'll probably have to drive across the states to get it..

Im willing to travel as far as New York for the right car.

Do the best? What are you just spamming to get more people to your site or something?

I am a big fan of the 99 m3 e36 but a restored Chevelle SS muscle would kick the trash out of that little German car. Not to mention after it is restored you have a better investment for your pocket book. The 99 m3 e36 will lose value while the SS will take off in price and will continue to be worth more and more. Also you can get money in car shows with the Chevelle and possibly later find a rich buyer to take it off your hands

Like I said, I think the Chevelle is a better investment. Plus restoring a car is so much fun! I love working on those godly engines.

You need the time, the money, the tools, the shop, and the parts.

and I can easily argue that a e36 will blow shit chunks on that ss with a ls1 t56, without octane or meth.

Once again Im looking for a daily driver here, you cant drive a SS everywhere. If I had a car already to begin with maybe I would do it. So maybe next year.

Hmmmm. . . I'm not an expert in cars. So i don't really understand any of this.

How about take pics before and after, and show me? What you're saying sounds cool.

Theres going to be no chevelle, Im not buying it.

Ill stick to the best :P (German)

LOL German cars my foot! American Muscle FTW!

I disagree. I think german cars are better from our experience.

Your experience? I dont think that can be taken into consideration at all. You're how old . . . ? LOL that's what I thought FOO!

Not mine, I mean our family. We've went through a ton of american cars, and out of all of them, none were good.

Settled for an Acura. Not exactly German, but not American.

You have been though a lot of America Muscle cars? Sheesh you must be loaded.

Waite do you even know what an American Muscle car is?

I want to see a Camaro or a Chevelle take a corner like an m3....

thats what I thought.

I like power, but not an insane amount as to where your car cannot perform in other areas.

500 hp on a e36 is an insane amount to be a daily driver. Once i get another vehicle Ill turn that car into a track car

I want to see a Camaro or a Chevelle take a corner like an m3....

thats what I thought.

I like power, but not an insane amount as to where your car cannot perform in other areas.

500 hp on a e36 is an insane amount to be a daily driver. Once i get another vehicle Ill turn that car into a track car

You'll be lucky if you get 240 hp out of that 99 version. The 3.2 liter version in Europe got 240 @ 6000 RPM off the line and new. And you are trying to get muscle out of a 10 year old German car? Good luck with that one. You will be putting just as much money into that 10 year old e36 as it would cost to keep the muscle car running, not to mention you will get to watch as the value of the BMW goes down and down and down.