Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Anyone here lift weights?

For 3 years now I've been working out, and now its an obsession. I work out 2-3 hours a day, even during class I have this little handle i squeeze to work on my forearms. I love it, but I feel as if I hit a brick wall. No matter how hard I work out I cant seem to breach 230 on Bench 340 on squat and dead lift. I mean, hell, Im a small guy I weigh 145(still) and Im about 5'8. Im not sure if I can physically get stronger without taking protein. Yes I did not take any protein in this 3 year course so Im pretty proud of that, I can run 3 miles under 21 mins still :P so yeah I feel like hurcules. I've been looking for a very very fast pased MMA gym locally but cant seem to find one, all they offer is karate. Im not into pussy shit, I didn't work out for 3 years to be put into screaming and kicking for 4 years before I can hit someone. Im also thinking about going into competitions, Weighing at about 145 I doubt there is many guys in my class that can put out what I can. Heh, I.. just don't give up.. but I'm not going to seem like a dick and just talk about myself.

Anyone else in here lift weights? work out? Compete?

Wrestle? Fight?

I weight lift and work out. Thats about it. :P

results?

whats your routine?

what do you work

I fought TKD pro for a few years, and I've been training in MMA since I stopped TKD, hoping to fight in the UFC after I graduate. I started working out with the powerlifting team at my university and they've given some pretty good insight into these matters. When it comes to the protein, I'm not sure why you don't take any, as far as I know there are no side effects, and being able to say "I got here without protein" isn't prestigious, it's slowing you. On the matter of strength plateaus, you might need to consider varying up your routine, switching out exercises, or changing the matter in which you do them, your muscles will only grow if they feel they need to, and if you can perform your workouts regularly then they aren't going to get that feeling.

I don't live anywhere near you so I can't recommend any gyms, but I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from dissing karate, kumite sparring is much harder than mma, and if you ever even witnessed a sabaki you would think much higher of the champion of that tournament than of Bas Rutten.

I've only been weight lifting and working out for 6 months but... My routine would usually be working on my Biceps, Triceps, and Deltoids and cycle on those three for one day. The next day I'd work more on my chest and back like my Pectorals, back muscles, and abs. And then there is a resting day for me to repair and such. Oh yeah and after each workout I run about 1-2 miles. I do toning exercises which would mean more repetition instead of maxing out. But, I've recently switched over to bulking up. I use Optimum Whey Protein As a Post/After workout supplement. Mmm yes, I go to Bally Total Fitness. Lol.

I fought TKD pro for a few years, and I've been training in MMA since I stopped TKD, hoping to fight in the UFC after I graduate. I started working out with the powerlifting team at my university and they've given some pretty good insight into these matters. When it comes to the protein, I'm not sure why you don't take any, as far as I know there are no side effects, and being able to say "I got here without protein" isn't prestigious, it's slowing you. On the matter of strength plateaus, you might need to consider varying up your routine, switching out exercises, or changing the matter in which you do them, your muscles will only grow if they feel they need to, and if you can perform your workouts regularly then they aren't going to get that feeling.

I don't live anywhere near you so I can't recommend any gyms, but I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from dissing karate, kumite sparring is much harder than mma, and if you ever even witnessed a sabaki you would think much higher of the champion of that tournament than of Bas Rutten.

Done all the above, I've even taken breaks from lifting to get a little fat...

Protein never slowed me...Until now.. Which is why Im going to be on it pretty soon....

I do, have a set in my garage. :P

I lift and have been for 12 years. If you want to get bigger and make your max higher, I suggest eating lots of foods with high protein, and eat them 6 times a day if you want to go the "I don't take protein supplements". Foods high in good proteins are oatmeal (no sweetener) and beans. Of course there are always the yummy steaks! Eat multi-grain breads and eat peanut butter sandwiches.

The main key is to eat these types of foods 6 times a day. You have to make your body want to gain muscle and not metabolize.

I lift and have been for 12 years. If you want to get bigger and make your max higher, I suggest eating lots of foods with high protein, and eat them 6 times a day if you want to go the "I don't take protein supplements". Foods high in good proteins are oatmeal (no sweetener) and beans. Of course there are always the yummy steaks! Eat multi-grain breads and eat peanut butter sandwiches.

The main key is to eat these types of foods 6 times a day. You have to make your body want to gain muscle and not metabolize.

I've taken my fair share of Anatomy and sociology.

Eating more protein than your body can consume is retarded. It just turns your piss yellow.

And believe me I've tried increasing my max and such. Im taking a few months off, which will lower my max and my muscle mass and I'll start off from there.

Supplements aren't really needed if you have a balanced died.

Yeah, I play football or am going to and I bench only 190 :/. But I'm just going for running back anyway.

If he wants to store protein and not push it out of his body, eating it more often is the opposite of what he needs. He should lower his food intake to 3 times a day so his body stops metabolizing as often, and start eating ridiculous amounts so his body goes into starvation mode and stores it.

I'm curious as to why you don't use protein though.

Oh, and there is a such thing as a max. An actual max, a point where you won't be able to get bigger than.

But a great way to break a bad time is to switch your workout completely. I suggest starting to do Number Weeks. After my first 3 months lifintg, when i got to 275 bench and such I stopped progressing at the 4 week mark, so me and my friend jake thought up number weeks to keep our bodies guessing.

Basically you choose a number on monday. 3-20. That is your rep number for the rest of the week on every workout. Adjust your weight accordingly. I do 5 sets no matter what, but that can be up to you.

Good luck ///m. :)

I am not saying to take more than his body can handle. I am talking about taking in moderate amounts many times a day. Like a breakfast then snack then lunch then snack then dinner. It switches the metabolism and allows the body to store more fat which then allows room for the muscle to grow past its bounds during the healing process.

It really works. I am not talking about putting in more than your body can handle. I am talking about simply eating more food than usual with higher amounts of protein. And good proteins like nuts and oats not bad red meats and high fat crap.