Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Girl, 6, Dies From Swimming Pool Injury

Girl, 6, Dies From Swimming Pool Injury

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A 6-year-old girl whose intestines were partially sucked out by a swimming pool drain, leading to tougher safety legislation, has died, her family's attorney said Friday.

Abigail Taylor's parents were with her when she died Thursday at Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, where she had surgery in December to receive a new small bowel, liver and pancreas several months after she was injured.

She suffered setbacks, including a cancerous condition sometimes triggered by organ transplants, family attorney Bob Bennett said.

A hospital spokeswoman, Kara Haworth, confirmed Abigail's death but said that she could not comment further and that Abigail's doctors were not available Friday.

Abigail, of Edina in the suburban Twin Cities, was injured June 29 when she sat on a wading pool drain at the Minneapolis Golf Club in the suburb of St. Louis Park; its powerful suction ripped out part of her intestinal tract.

Her parents, Scott and Katey Taylor, lobbied for tougher regulations to help prevent similar injuries, and in December, President Bush signed a law that bans the manufacture, sale or distribution of drain covers that don't meet anti-entrapment safety standards.

The legislation, the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act, is named for another victim, the 7-year-old granddaughter of former Secretary of State James Baker. She drowned at a graduation party in 2002, when the suction from a drain pinned her.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., called the girl "an inspiration for change" who prodded pool-safety legislation that had gone nowhere for years.

"I visited her in the hospital, and she just had this incredible spunk, and was very focused on wanting to get this bill through Washington," Klobuchar said.

Bennett said the Taylors wouldn't be available to comment Friday. In November, the family sued the golf club and Sta-Rite Industries, the pool equipment manufacturer owned by Pentair of Golden Valley.

Gretchen Koehn, president of the Minneapolis Golf Club's executive committee, sent a note to club members notifying them of Abigail's death. The club's "hearts and prayers" go out to the Taylor family, she wrote.

Associated Press writers Brian Bakst, Chris Williams and Frederic J. Frommer contributed to this report.

Source: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iOrEG1r...vP4iJAD8VI1NPO3

I remember hearing about this when it happened last year. I never knew she was still alive.

MINNEAPOLIS (AP)partial —A 6-year-old girl whose intestines were ly sucked out by a swimming pool drain, leading to tougher safety legislation, has died, her family's attorney said Friday.

jesus christ

Yeah.. harsh..

MINNEAPOLIS (AP)partial —A 6-year-old girl whose intestines were ly sucked out by a swimming pool drain, leading to tougher safety legislation, has died, her family's attorney said Friday.

jesus christ

I didn't think that could happen anymore.. isn't there something protective in the drain that doesn't allow that to happen? My brother in-law told me there was, I just can't remember what he said, lol.

I never thought something like this is possible... That is sad and... umm... strange. How the hell is something that horrid possible...

jesus christ

x2

Dont let little girls buts near swimming pool drains, its that simple

jesus christ

x2

x4

I mean... DAMN. Having the intestines sucked out? Holy shit... the ripping action too... Ugh. IM gonna have trouble shitting now >.>

Dont let little girls buts near swimming pool drains, its that simple

Wow, well isn't someone here an assfag. Go swim near a swimming pool drain, at least your death wouldn't be as sad as that one. I'm not even sure how this is possible, no one could have foreseen that.

Thats sad but not all suprising to me theres a few storys like this