Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Leecher Problem

Hey guys we are haveing a really BIG problem with leechers.. If your unsure about what a leecher is, here is a small def:

Leecher can be applied practially to peer to peer file sharing protocols, or communitys such as: Ghoztcraft.net's download section, in which the leecher consumes bandwidth by downloading, yet has no will to upload or give back to a community.

We have to do something about this guys. Post more, donate and we wont have to worry about the leechers.

We should make it like after they post 5 times and they download more than 5 files they get instantly banned.

it should cost gps to download

I have said it before, I am working on a way to make it cost ghozt points to download.

great

Also kind of another idea that might work in the mean time is to set it that all new members that get approved get mod previewed. This might be unrealistic but i don't think we get that many new members a day now?

I certanly could be wrong tho.

hmm dl costs ghozt points prety cool. ghozt y dont u delete the accounts that have only 5 posts and like started downloading like all the shits

That works the ghoztpoints thing, =p I dont download anyways lol. Make them work hard =).

I suggested approval for downloads and gp's for downloads. Raising the post limit for downloads has been discussed before. besides leechers don't tend to care what we think of them as long as they get their hacks.

haha and he likes it how it is

I totally agree with making the downloads harder to get! It annoys the piss out of me when they get 5 posts and that is it and every post is some stupid spam BS! But I wouldn't go with more posts because than they would just spam more until they reach whatever they have to in order to access the download section. I say make it by approval only! It may piss off the newer members but by the time they get approved they will have become loyal to Ghoztcraft.

Have a great day!

-Jordan

As far as Im concerned if we changed it to where a person has to be a member for 30 days or some other pre-determined time frame. That way people would have to be dencent members right?

Guys, your not looking at it from all angles. First of all we cant just delete members becuase then we have all these guest posting all over the place and its ugly. There is no way that I can put download approval, jsut drop that idea. Many members who only have 5-10 posts come back to the site DAILY, they just dont post very often. Delete members and/or banning members will only make them register again and thus, making the problem worse. All I can do is make it so that the more you post the more downlaods you get. So the idea is that it cost's GhoztPoints to download, but I have never cusomly edited a custom mod on this site before, so its going to be a while before this becomes real.

The only other options we have is to allow guests to download, thus making the only people spamming/posting in the forums is the people who accually care to post. Or just remove the 5 post count limit.

Do you guys understand now?

I would think that being approved for dls is uber...

make it when you pay for the ticket to dl stuff, u get put into another group, same as normal but with the downloading priviledge

Why cant I just add a tag to the downlaod button that makes it make sure you have at least 100 points before you can download it, and if you dont have 100 then it just refreashes the page or show's and error. Simple, what you want is like an entirely new mod to the site, you make it for me and ill isntall it.

uintil is a noob.,.....

Make it cost 1000 posts to access the downloads, 100 is too low :P

Guys, your not looking at it from all angles. First of all we cant just delete members becuase then we have all these guest posting all over the place and its ugly. There is no way that I can put download approval, jsut drop that idea. Many members who only have 5-10 posts come back to the site DAILY, they just dont post very often. Delete members and/or banning members will only make them register again and thus, making the problem worse. All I can do is make it so that the more you post the more downlaods you get. So the idea is that it cost's GhoztPoints to download, but I have never cusomly edited a custom mod on this site before, so its going to be a while before this becomes real.

The only other options we have is to allow guests to download, thus making the only people spamming/posting in the forums is the people who accually care to post. Or just remove the 5 post count limit.

Do you guys understand now?

That makes sense. A guest download section, private section, and a members section.

Making it cost points to download would ruin your forum. I moderate a hacking forum, and we made that mistake. We got allsorts of leechers and spammers spamming just to get points.

Yea that makes sense Ghozt. Maybe it is good the way it is. Making the post limit higher would also cause much more spamming...

Have a good one!

-Jordan

Why cant I just add a tag to the downlaod button that makes it make sure you have at least 100 points before you can download it, and if you dont have 100 then it just refreashes the page or show's and error. Simple, what you want is like an entirely new mod to the site, you make it for me and ill isntall it.

That sounds OK.

Well either way we gonna have a problem i think.

My story (i have changed since then, dont take it hard on me): when i first joined i had no intention of ever using this site again. I just wanted panic. I HAVE CHANGED SINCE THEN. now i use this site so much. the point is:

many leachers stop being leachers

If u make it hard for the leachers to come ghozt craft will become less active

OHH SHIT FORGET WHAT I JUST SAID!! :tease: I wasnt reallhy thinking just typing what canme to mind.

NOw that i thought about it. it is way better to have a little less activity than to have a whole bunch of ****en noobs and leachers posting spam all over the place.

The ghoztpoints thing is a good idea. but i dont like the idea of giving guest download priviledges. Just make it so that they have to give 1000 gp to start downloading and 5 or 10 posts. after all gp arnt hard to get.

U should ban anny spammers though. Cant u IP ban them so they can never come back. or at least not for like 3 months or something??

oh no i gave all my pts away lol well over 200