Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

DOTA for Starcraft Brood War

I know I know, another Starcraft DOTA yes? Wrong. As many people have told me, a Starcraft DOTA, no matter what, sucks, and can never compare to Warcraft III's DOTA. True, but still, those stupid DOTA maps out for Starcraft really suck, and I wanted to get back into mapmaking with a bang. So, over the next few months, I'll be posting in this thread my progress in making this new map. It is still in the planning stages (Meaning the map hasn't even been created on a computer yet) But these are some of the features it will probably have...

Heroes (Final number will be 40 total, 20 each team Beta version will have 20 Heroes):

Venomancer

Viper

Elven Sniper

Earthshaker

Sand King

Stealth Assassin

Zeus

Razor

Goblin Techies

Brood Mother

Tinker

Darkterror

Bane Elemental

Anti-Mage

Voidwalker

Lich

Default Abilities (Things Warcraft can do easily that Starcraft can't, and I can make them work):

Hero HP Regen

Hero MP Regen

Hero Abilities (Auras, Spells, Items, etc.)

Powerups (Illusion, Invisibility, Regenerate, etc)

Spells/Ultimates (Can work, but creating and researching more):

Shadow Strike

Epicenter

Assassinate

Stuns

Slow Effects

Auras (Radiance, etc.)

Spawn Spiderlings

Poison Nova

Remote Mines

Suicide Squad Attack!

Stasis Trap

Laser

Heat Seeking Missile

March of the Machines

Rearm

Poison Sting

Plague Ward

Fissure

Aftershock

Echo Slam

ScatterShot

Chronosphere

Time Walk

Brain Sap

Fiend's Grip

Items (Still researching what can work, etc.):

Ring of Health

Void Stone

Perseverance

Ring of Regeneration

Scroll Of Town Portal

Animal Courier

Clarity Potion

Flask Of Sapphire Water

Empty Bottle

Crow Courier (Minus the Boots Of Speed)

New Stuff:

I will also add in new things the current DOTA for Warcraft III does not have. I am still thinking of new things.

New Abilities (Still thinking up new things :P ):

Terrorize (Makes enemy creeps flee back to base for a set period of time)

======================================================================

Any ideas for new things are needed!

Post if you have any ideas!

Please no negative comments...

This map is already looking at several hundred triggers per person already...

I don't need any more discouragement!

I dont even know what DOTA is... o.0

indeed. i dont know what dota is either

OMG..... >.< You must play other games besides Starcraft!!! But if you don't get Warcraft III by the time I finish this map, then you'll still get a pretty good idea about how to play the real DOTA in Warcraft III. If you have absolutely no idea how to play DOTA, or what it is, and you learn to play it well on my map, and can transfer that skill over to the regular DOTA, then I have reached my goal of making a good effective DOTA map.

Hey Uhh Dude I have a perfect Idea..

EX for spells and w/e put a Gateway right and mak elike the dark templar he FREE town of portal I have this very good dota map for BW and I play it pretty often its really fun and it would just suck balls if you made it pay for the scrolls.

I'm trying to keep it as close to the actual Warcraft III DOTA as possible. So they are going to have to pay for their Town Portal, since you pay for it in the actual DOTA. But I need help for making new items, and Heroes. Things the real DOTA doesn't have since not every hero will be compatible for Starcraft Brood War.

The way I have it, after they buy the scroll, they can set the place they will warp to beforehand. After that, they can go out and do whatevers, then when they need to warp, they wait for the three second warp time, and then they get warped to the location they selected previously. And keep in mind that nearly every item, and every spell/ult, and ever hero ability will require 100 triggers to work... So that no matter what HP they are at, and such, the effect/spell/item can still work.

This will be horrible, dota in sc CANT comapre to dota in wc3 EVER because wc3 has actual HEROS

But like I said, I am trying to make it rather close, or at least far better than any other Starcraft DOTA maps out so far... Right now that list is all I have so far, so seriously, any ideas for new abilites and heros is welcome.

MAP UPDATE: So far, I've managed to layout nearly all of the terrain, I am still perfecting the actual arena area of the playing field. The game locations are nearly all in place, except for the ability locations and such. For the map terrain, I just need to create the item selection areas. And in the Beta release of this map, it will only fature 20 Heroes total, becasue not very many people are helping me create new heroes from scratch, and the fact that Starcraft simply doesn't have that many ground units... So the final Hero tally in the actual release may be somewhere around 20-30 Heroes, 10-15 heroes each team. Right now I still only have 14 Heroes down... So any ideas really will be helpful! If you are helpful enough, you can get a free custom hero in this map! I already have four, one for me, and each of my friends helping me the most with my map. :P

Umm adam who is Jim Raynor? Is he not a hero?

Who is Kerrigan? hero hmm or can you biuld her from a Hatchery?

What about Tom Kazanksy? Hmm?

This will be horrible, dota in sc CANT comapre to dota in wc3 EVER because wc3 has actual HEROS

Yeah, the list:

Terran

Jim Raynor (vulture), Jim Raynor (marine), Alan Schezar (goliath), Edmund Duke (tank), Hyperion (BC), Norad II (BC), Kerrigan (Ghost), Duran (Ghost), Alexei Stukov (Ghost), Tom Kazansky (Wraith), Magellan (Sci-Vessel), Infested Duran (Ghost)

Protoss

Fenix (zealot), Fenix (dragoon), Tassadar (HT), Artanis (scout), Aldaris (HT), Zeratul (DT), Raszagal (it should be DT but it is Corsair, well it has a sprite for DT too...), Ganithor-Tassadar (carrier), Tassadar-Zeratul (archon)

Zerg

Devouring One (Z-ling), Hunter Killer (Hydra), Yggdrasil (Overlord), Kukulza (muta), Kukulza (gua), Matriarch (queen), Torrasque (ultra), Infested Kerrigan (inf kerrigan :D ), Unclean One (defiler)

If those are not heroes, what are they? Kekeke.

Edited by Zhuinden

i played this one dota where had like 12 dropships, and u can load them for spells, items, etc... then u move them to the usage area n when u want to use a spell u just unload i think thats a ez way to use spells and abilites(just can only use ground units)

i think its a good idea to make a new dota, ull nvr be to pass wc3 though...... but i think u should this dota last a lot longer, all the ones i play dont last as long....(to mean that means once i beat it, then its boring)

With 20 different Heroes to choose form? No Prob :)

And that drop ship thing is pretty interesting... I think I might add that in. Cuz I'm already doing that for my friend's custom hero :) He's gonna be a kewl shuttle that can fly around and drop stuff, along with abilites and stuff. But that means the players can use the dropships to just fly away with their Heroes right? That's a bad thing... O.O

MAP UPDATE: OK I've already finished laying out the terrain, and am now making the creep spwn triggers. That way I can balance out the creeps and use a speed hack to speed the game up to see any imbalances... :)

Yeah, the list:

Terran

Jim Raynor (vulture), Jim Raynor (marine), Alan Schezar (goliath), Edmund Duke (tank), Hyperion (BC), Norad II (BC), Kerrigan (Ghost), Duran (Ghost), Alexei Stukov (Ghost), Tom Kazansky (Wraith), Magellan (Sci-Vessel), Infested Duran (Ghost)

Protoss

Fenix (zealot), Fenix (dragoon), Tassadar (HT), Artanis (scout), Aldaris (HT), Zeratul (DT), Raszagal (it should be DT but it is Corsair, well it has a sprite for DT too...), Ganithor-Tassadar (carrier), Tassadar-Zeratul (archon)

Zerg

Devouring One (Z-ling), Hunter Killer (Hydra), Yggdrasil (Overlord), Kukulza (muta), Kukulza (gua), Matriarch (queen), Torrasque (ultra), Infested Kerrigan (inf kerrigan :) ), Unclean One (defiler)

If those are not heroes, what are they? Kekeke.

they are not heros, as in they cannont gain lvls and abilities

lol they are heroes. The heroes in Starcraft are so old, that they do not even count Levels and special abilities. They simply have all their abilities researched before you research the regular units abilities. Like Sarah Kerrigan might be able to cloak, while you still have to research poersonnel cloaking for the regular ghosts.

lol they are heroes. The heroes in Starcraft are so old, that they do not even count Levels and special abilities. They simply have all their abilities researched before you research the regular units abilities. Like Sarah Kerrigan might be able to cloak, while you still have to research poersonnel cloaking for the regular ghosts.

but still, even if sc is a old game, u still will need to overcome the problem that sc doesnt have heros that can level

i mean the the point of dota is to LVL ur hero then kick ur opponent's ass

And I have that all layed out :P A crapload of triggers, but yes, your Hero does level up... :P

wow then u just made me 100% more interested on how ur making this

I always love playing with the sc editors but in my opinion the basic wc3 map editor owns any sc editor. Some of the triggers make me drool on my keyboard :P hehe but yeah. I love wc3 editor and I hope this DOTA turns out well and gives me something good to play for a long while.

Hell yeah, as I've repeated many times, I want to make this map so good, and so similar to the actual DOTA, that if you get good at it on the Starcraft version, you will be good in the actual Warrcaft 3 version :P

P.S. Does anyone have a copy of the Starcraft UMS map Particle Arena? There's a few triggers from that map I would like to incorporate into my map...

I think I had it and broke it, let me look...

Well the good news is, I have it, the bad news is, I broke it meaning

-Can't be played in starcraft

-Can't be opened in ScmDraft 2 (Map Editor I tried in)

Error Returned from ScmDraft 2 :

"Error reading Scenario.chk from MPQ

Check to verify map isn't corrupt."

So I definately did something bad with it in the past, I don't remember what though, if you still want it to somehow open it. I'll upload it.. let me know.

Edited by aimcrack

look in ur editor's logs to see if u can restore that file to the orignal file

nvm I got the map :P Expect even more form the DOTA map now :P

Viper, I'm gonna check my editor logs like nine5one said, but if I can't restore can you send me the map, I had fun with it. lol

Edit: Nothing in my logs for it.. Would you mind sending me it Viper, it would be much appreciated.

Edited by aimcrack