Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Google Chrome

Google Chrome

At Google, we have a saying: “launch early and iterate.” While this approach is usually limited to our engineers, it apparently applies to our mailroom as well! As you may have read in the blogosphere, we hit "send" a bit early on a comic book introducing our new open source browser, Google Chrome. As we believe in access to information for everyone, we've now made the comic publicly available -- you can find it here. We will be launching the beta version of Google Chrome tomorrow in more than 100 countries.

So why are we launching Google Chrome? Because we believe we can add value for users and, at the same time, help drive innovation on the web.

All of us at Google spend much of our time working inside a browser. We search, chat, email and collaborate in a browser. And in our spare time, we shop, bank, read news and keep in touch with friends -- all using a browser. Because we spend so much time online, we began seriously thinking about what kind of browser could exist if we started from scratch and built on the best elements out there. We realized that the web had evolved from mainly simple text pages to rich, interactive applications and that we needed to completely rethink the browser. What we really needed was not just a browser, but also a modern platform for web pages and applications, and that's what we set out to build.

On the surface, we designed a browser window that is streamlined and simple. To most people, it isn't the browser that matters. It's only a tool to run the important stuff -- the pages, sites and applications that make up the web. Like the classic Google homepage, Google Chrome is clean and fast. It gets out of your way and gets you where you want to go.

Under the hood, we were able to build the foundation of a browser that runs today's complex web applications much better. By keeping each tab in an isolated "sandbox", we were able to prevent one tab from crashing another and provide improved protection from rogue sites. We improved speed and responsiveness across the board. We also built a more powerful JavaScript engine, V8, to power the next generation of web applications that aren't even possible in today's browsers.

This is just the beginning -- Google Chrome is far from done. We're releasing this beta for Windows to start the broader discussion and hear from you as quickly as possible. We're hard at work building versions for Mac and Linux too, and will continue to make it even faster and more robust.

We owe a great debt to many open source projects, and we're committed to continuing on their path. We've used components from Apple's WebKit and Mozilla's Firefox, among others -- and in that spirit, we are making all of our code open source as well. We hope to collaborate with the entire community to help drive the web forward.

The web gets better with more options and innovation. Google Chrome is another option, and we hope it contributes to making the web even better.

So check in again tomorrow to try Google Chrome for yourself. We'll post an update here as soon as it's ready.

Source(s): http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/fre...on-browser.html

http://www.freechromethemes.com/DownloadGoogleChrome.php

Did anyone get it to try it out? I am asking because I don't want to download it until someone compares it to firefox. I wub my firefox. :iluvff:

Same.

I tried this about an hour after it was released. It's not great, but it's not bad either. I suspect more work is needed. And it crashed on my main computer because of SEP.

There were a few topics with discussion about this. I find it to be much better than Firefox and plan to use it as my main web browser from now on.

CFM.gif

I must say it kills FireFox 3, and Defently Tops IE7, I wonder if IE8 is gonna shape up.

I think IE is gonna die out just like the way Netscape Navigator did XD

I think IE is gonna die out just like the way Netscape Navigator did XD

LOL. Yeahhh. I like Chrome. any1 know when it's outta beta?

Type a ":" into the navigation bar or w/e it's called, and see wonders :D I must reassure everyone that this will be the best Web Browser if plugins like Ad-Block come out for it. Each tab is an individual process - if one freezes, the others still work fine.

I noticed that individual process thing. I was like :D Where did all these come from... *close* *close* *close* D: Pages are BROKEN!? It's a neat feature though XD

Really, you just kill the dead process and you don't have to restart the entire browser. And you can detach a tab into a window, and re-attach a window to be a tab. It's sexy.

I had sex with it :D

Type about:internets in the address bar :)

google rocks. but i think it will take some time for people to start using this. i just downloaded it the other day its interesting but i still use firefox over anything.

I only use Google or IE, everything else is just way to slow. FireFox reminds me of netscape...

I only use Google or IE, everything else is just way to slow. FireFox reminds me of netscape...

Something is wrong with you and/or your comp it is like 5 times faster then IE.

Edited by Bubb9

It will be fixed fast, and second thing is over exaggerated by parnaoid people who feel like there important enough that they have to hide something (also it can be turned off...).

it impossible to exploit that exploit on my comp because my internet is very slow so it would take ages to execute a exe from the web on my comp

It'd be extremely rare for some one to try to exploit Chrome because it would probably be a waste due to the small amount of people even using Chrome.

i think ill start using it if something like ad block comes out for it....

They have an ad block that you install on your computer...

It watches all internet traffic, and blocks the ads... Also, PeerGaurdian is very good at this... :)

3 years after Gmail's release... still in beta... I wonder how long chrome will be like this >.>

o.o i downloaded it

and watched the vids :) looks sexy

he got me moist (im refering to chrome as a he.)

Edit*

OMFG! Google Chrome is dead sexy graw