Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Firefox 3 On June 17th, Pledge Today!

Firefox 3 on June 17th, Pledge today!

Earlier today I received an email direct to firefox 3 developers, thanks to our Ghoztcraft Menu Add-on announcing that Firefox 3 would be released on the 17th, this Tuesday. So I googled for a while to find out more details..

Dear Add-on Developer,

Firefox 3 will be released June 17th. If you have a Firefox 3 compatible version of your add-on, we recommend you upload it to addons.mozilla.org at this time. If you are waiting until the final release day, we suggest to upload into the sandbox and nominate for addition once Firefox 3 has been released.

Full details of the final release can be found here:

http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index...17th-firefox-3/

Thank you for helping build one of the most amazing software releases in history.

Best Regards,

Firefox Product Team

So then after further investigation, I find this:

Sounds like a good deal, right? All you have to do is get Firefox 3 during Download Day to help set the record for most software downloads in 24 hours - it’s that easy. We're not asking you to swallow a sword or to balance 30 spoons on your face, although that would be kind of awesome.

The official date for the launch of Firefox 3 is June 17, 2008. Join our community and this effort by pledging today.

And then I found this too! Apparently people are hosting Firefox 3 parties all over the place. Hey, it's an excuse to get drunk right? Well, and test out the best browser ever, of course.

The Mozilla community has many reasons to celebrate! To join the fun, register for a Mozilla Party Central account, and sign up to host or attend a party.

Firefox 3 Launch

All over the world, we'll be celebrating the launch of Firefox 3 in late June. Join the fun by hosting or attending a party.

Mozilla's 10th Anniversary

March 31, 2008 marked the 10 year anniversary of the Mozilla source code release, but we're taking all year to celebrate it. Host or attend a party on a date that is meaningful to you in Mozilla history.

World Record Download Day

Help set the Guinness World Record for the Most Software Downloaded in 24 Hours and have some fun while you're at it! When Firefox 3 launches, host or attend a download fest.

Source(s): http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

Source(s): http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index...17th-firefox-3/

Source(s): http://mozillaparty.com/en-US/

Finally Firefox 3

I'm pretty sure the download site won't have the following info:

Should we uninstall v2 first?

Will the default v3 overwrite v2?

Is it recommended to keep v2 in case there problems with v3?

Can v2 be uninstalled later?

Will v3 use the same profile directory or can it be configured to use a new one and import the v2 profile in case there are problems?

Will the installation process make a backup of the existing profile?

Firefox's user base is getting big enough now that there's a significant percentage of users that are not pc literate enough to take care of technical details like the above on their own.

If v3 does not play nice with sites where v2 has no problems with, people will be lost and there'll be too much unnecessary frustration unless the v3 installation process keeps a profile backup automatically in case users need to revert to v2.

I'm confused as I have not ever seen what features FF3 will have over 2. I haven't seen any pictures or anything. How is it going to be more "secure" and greater than FF2? Isn't it kinda the same.

I pledge to download it. Firefox 2 was a great success, I'm sure if it took this long to get out of beta, it'll kick butt.

ill dl it, i love fire fox its the best web browser I've ever used...

I'm confused as I have not ever seen what features FF3 will have over 2. I haven't seen any pictures or anything. How is it going to be more "secure" and greater than FF2? Isn't it kinda the same.

They changed a lot, once you install it you can really tell the difference.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0/releasenotes/

I'll download it for sure! Maybe twice If I'm feeling frisky

Firefox 3 will kick ass

I am downloading it 3 times! One for each PC cause i'm to lazy to transfer over a network. :D

I have the beta as is.

I plan on downloading it once because thats all thats needed ;o should be great

Can't wait to download it

I'm gonna download it, but I hope all of my addons work with it.

They didn't work with RC2... :D

With ff3 you can tell it to install anyway, there was an article about getting old addons to work on firefox3 at lifehacker.com.

woot finaly ive been waiting for the new firefox i cant wait im for surly downloading it

Is it possible to download it now?

You can download the latest release candidate. They said it's pretty much the same thing that will be released. But it's better to just wait until Tuesday anyway.

They changed a lot, once you install it you can really tell the difference.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0/releasenotes/

Thanks for that. It sounds good and this sounds Really good.

"Memory usage: Several new technologies work together to reduce the amount of memory used by Firefox 3 over a web browsing session. Memory cycles are broken and collected by an automated cycle collector, a new memory allocator reduces fragmentation, hundreds of leaks have been fixed, and caching strategies have been tuned."

Not that it's really that big of a deal for my computer, but the amount of memory that FF takes is annoying.

DONT FORGET PEOPLE!! DONT SAY ONE DOWNLOAD DOESNT COUNT! IF TEN PEOPLE THINK THAT, ITS 10 DOWNLOADS!!!

8 hours to go!!!

Damn it. I can't download it yet... I'll be a work and be the last person to get it!

It doesn't start until 10 am pst, 11am mst, 12pm cst, and 1 pm est.

:D

38 minutes to go!

Edit: I'm trying to download it, but the page must be getting so many hits, because it's not loading. >_<

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2008/06/17/fi...-3-coming-soon/

The outpouring of interest and enthusiasm around Firefox 3 has been overwhelming (literally!). Our servers are currently feeling the burn and should be back to normal shortly. Download day will officially commence once the site goes live. The 24 hours period will be clocked from that moment. Thanks for your continued support.

So did my download not count then?

Just download it again if you're not sure, but I think it did. I'm still waiting for the addons site to come back online.